What's new
What's new

How to clean out 10/32 threaded hole from chips?

NASTYZEN

Plastic
Hello guys,
I have these 1/2"brass bushings with a 10/32 threaded hole 1.0" deep in them that need to be free of chips. Like 10 to 15 thousand of them at a time..
I used to have the kids sit there and blow them out with an air blower. But they went and grew up and left.
There must be a better way! (other than child labour) : - )

Spiral flute taps? Formed threads is probably the best solution if you can control the hole size. Thread milling will make easy to remove chips, but they still have to come out.

Thanks for the response guys.
The problem is not chips when tapping but rather after they drop to the screen deck.
I have a screen that they drop on to, to separate the chips from the bushings. Works not bad but chips get inside while they sit there. The machine makes about 450 parts per day. I move them along after every bar. But get some chips inside anyway hence having to blow them out anyways.. No parts catcher on this machine. What I need is something I could shovel them into and when I take them out they are ready to package.

I will have to try form taps for the next batch, thanks.
But I still have a little mountain of bushings to clean out now..
Need 2000 to finish this order.
I grab about 10, orient them all in the right direction, blow them out, throw them in the bucket, repeat..
The machine is a Colchester Storm A-50.
I realise it is not good to have them fall in the machine, that is why I made a seperator screen about 10 inches from the bottom so that the coolant washes over the bushings.

agitating parts washer. I don't have one, so I would use the ultrasonic, and I have a Resturant prewash on my rinse sink. that combo would be a about a 99% solution, if you need 99.99%, rinse and repeat,( literally). a big ultrasonic is expensive, but worth it.

(with the caveat that this is for chips small enough to drop and/or rinse out of the hole. if its big or stringy chips, find someone else kids, but you will have to pay them lol!)

Shavings are fine with this one, no strings.
Agitating parts washer. I like the sound of that. where can I get one?
A friend also mentioned a rotary finisher?

the usual industrial suppliers have them, but they are pricey.. so depending on your budget you might check the auction sites. educate yourself on the brands and types first, either way. you want the ones for small parts, not the ones that clean engine blocks.
yes a lot of those are based on "tumblers" or vibratory finishers.
check out the YouTubes of them in action. l've seen them in the vids of making hardware such as nuts and bolts, in particular. if I recall, some are hexagonal baskets in a rotating drums, some are "shaking tray with spray" contraptions. same task, get the junk out of threads on a mass-production scale.

good luck and let us know what you get!

Last edited:
Shavings are fine with this one, no strings.
Agitating parts washer. I like the sound of that. where can I get one?
A friend also mentioned a rotary finisher?
I have one air nozzle that looks like it is for filling basketballs or foot balls. I put the plastic tubes that come with WD 40 cans on that nozzle needle so I do not scratch surfaces.

Maybe a shop built parts catcher that drops the parts in a parts bucket would be the long term solution?
I have built a couple. One that just hangs under the cut off blade and an automated one mounted on a rotary air cylinder with a cam to raise it for catching then another cam surface to really raise it to dump in a parts container. The automated one is on a screw machine.

Almonds are harvested by shaking the trees then sweeping up the almonds and the dirt. The state made a big long expensive study of cleaning almonds from dirt. Conclusion was double the length of the angled screen conveyer before air blasting off the dirt. Reduced the dust clouds blowing across the roads by a lot.
Bill D

Attachments

• harvester-comparison-head.jpeg
    harvester-comparison-head.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 18
I like to find a long, small drywall screw, cut the head off and chuck it up in a cordless drill. The chips will just boil out of the hole and a quick shot of air and no harm to the threads.
JH

Back