What's new
What's new

How to convince management to invest in post-processor

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
I had an interesting experience one time...company bought $3 million USD worth of machines and refused to invest in Vericut. Mind you, these are multiaxis machines that crashing could easily be $100K to fix. And then you just know that machine isn't going to run like it did before.

Dropping $30K on a seat of software can be mind-boggling sometimes. Then again, replacing a spindle and a trunnion is even more mind boggling and I sure AF don't want to do that.

OP - for reference I purchased a Postability post for a 5-axis for less than $5K and it is bullet proof. Needed some tweaking to get right but every time I post code, I can trust it.

If you can't trust a process then how can you expect to be profitable? They are willing to spend the coin on GibbsCAM but not a post to complete the closed loop production cycle? That doesn't make any sense. Are they expecting you to hand edit code? What is the point of CAM if you can't trust it....

Mike1974

Diamond
I had an interesting experience one time...company bought $3 million USD worth of machines and refused to invest in Vericut. Mind you, these are multiaxis machines that crashing could easily be $100K to fix. And then you just know that machine isn't going to run like it did before.

Dropping $30K on a seat of software can be mind-boggling sometimes. Then again, replacing a spindle and a trunnion is even more mind boggling and I sure AF don't want to do that.

OP - for reference I purchased a Postability post for a 5-axis for less than $5K and it is bullet proof. Needed some tweaking to get right but every time I post code, I can trust it.

If you can't trust a process then how can you expect to be profitable? They are willing to spend the coin on GibbsCAM but not a post to complete the closed loop production cycle? That doesn't make any sense. Are they expecting you to hand edit code? What is the point of CAM if you can't trust it....

Second Postability. If they won't spring for the proper post.... run it and let them see the crash, but have a job lined up first LoL. ;)