What's new
What's new

How to fixture this part, multiple setup ....

MwTech Inc

Titanium
You guys have been doing this waaaay longer than me...........what will be fast?

3000 quantity has to be made

The first op they are held on a 4 part vac fixture we made in house.. VMC ......works well.

Second op is flip over and drill/tap a 1/8-27 about .625in from the edge....currently done on a Burgmaster turret drill. The lip is now UP , so no ledge to hold down with.

Like to move this to the VMC but .....

puck is .750 thick with a .250 lip...center hole is .500. OD is 3.5"

Puck can be in any rotational position to have the second OP done.

Need something fast and easy with at least 4 parts or can double that to 8...or even more??

We don't have a pallet system......do have 2 Kurt DX6 crossovers....

Load in vises on fixture ,,,,or make two fixtures and use "locating device" to switch , reload while one is running?

What ya think???

Puck in the picture is a reject but it shows the basics.

Attachments

• puck.jpg
    puck.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 270

MaxPrairie

Hot Rolled
I use these to machine steps on rubber coated rolls where you cant grip the OD. Part looks like delrin or similar.

Object moved

Cheap dirty way is mill a circle pocket in aluminum jaws and mount to your vise.

gkoenig

Titanium
We don't have a pallet system......do have 2 Kurt DX6 crossovers....

If you have a basic 6" machinists vise, you have a pallet system.

Just take a big chunk of aluminum, square it up, and cut a profile on the bottom that engages hard-jaws on the vise. Boom - instant pallet system.

mmurray70

Hot Rolled
You dont give much details on the part, but id be trying to get it down to one setup. Either threadmill the NPT hole from backside with custom tool, or cut the step with grooving tool or something.

Mechanola

Stainless
If it's all round, that's a turning classic from bars. About 30 seconds per part on a CNC lathe, totalling to 25 hours without bar changes

Orange Vise

Stainless
What ya think???

I think it's a lathe part!

But if I had to do it in a mill, I'd make a really simple fixture by pressing in a bunch of 1/2" pull-type dowels with 1/4-20 tapped holes. Tapped hole faces up. Part locates with the dowel and is secured with a 1/4-20 screw and fender washer right thru the center. Zip em in and out with a 12v impact driver... 5 seconds a piece.

Use locknuts to keep the washers captive on the screws (slightly loose so the washers can rotate).

gkoenig

Titanium
secured with a 1/4-20 screw and fender washer right thru the center. Zip em in and out with a 12v impact driver... 5 seconds a piece.

Use locknuts to keep the washers captive on the screws (slightly loose so the washers can rotate).

For fixture work like this, let me introduce you to the K-Lock nut, with integrated washers. Such a pleasure to use compared to washers in this sorta thing, even with locknuts.

Object moved

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Ok..don't have a CNC lathe....yet.

Yes, there are three milling operations, three tools, on the bottom surface you cant see and they are not round cuts.......

Yea and this reject puck doesnt have the 1/8 tapped hole either..........

Material is PVC

Gkoenig: never saw them on McM before..Thks

MaxPrairie.....they are nice....

Orange; understand...

Processing options..........lol

Mechanola

Stainless
It still is a lathe part to begin with. Drilling and tapping can take place on a simple drill press. After that you have a thread to fixture it on your mill. Or you clamp on the smaller diameter of the step, bottom up, for milling. By distributing the setups to various equipment you can free yourself from occupying one machine and one worker too long.

I mean you can cut slices from bars with a saw, pack them onto a milling machine awkwardly, and make pouches and the like. The circular general form demands something else.

guythatbrews

Cast Iron
I think it's a lathe part!

But if I had to do it in a mill, I'd make a really simple fixture by pressing in a bunch of 1/2" pull-type dowels with 1/4-20 tapped holes. Tapped hole faces up. Part locates with the dowel and is secured with a 1/4-20 screw and fender washer right thru the center. Zip em in and out with a 12v impact driver... 5 seconds a piece.

Sounds like the best idea. Make 2 identical "pallets" and switch out in vise. In 6" vise could get 3 pcs/pallet if they overhang. You'll have to turn down 1/4" nuts they are too big for 1/2 hole. Loctite them. Do something about keeping parallels tight to jaws, parallel keeper or something.

If you have to face second op in mill cut 2 circular pockets in soft vise jaws.

When you get cnc lathe get one with live tooling. First milling op on lathe, second pipe tap quicker on 3 off mill fixture or 2 op vise fixture.