What's new
What's new

How to make a major career change into become a tool and die maker and machinist?

This post is me seeking advice from folks on how to make a career shift (a major one) from being a project manager for software development teams, into eventually becoming a tool and die maker and machinist (I'm interested in both jobs).

A little about my background: I'm in my 30s, and although I currently work in a very lucrative field, I'm fine with taking a major dip in pay to do something I find more fulfilling at this point.

In my current role, I don't work with my hands, or make anything. There's no end state I can point to and say: "Look I did x". I find this deeply frustrating. In my previous experience, I was an engineering officer in the National Guard, and I completed my service honorably, I've also owned and operated two businesses I started myself.

My father was a machinist, later became an operations manager and then a VP, and now is finally retired. I know full well what the job entails and what it's like to work in that setting. It's something I've always been interested in doing, and I'm now in a position where I can take a cut in pay to do what I like, but I have no idea where to get started in this field, especially when I'm in my 30s, and I can't necessarily sign up for a high school shop program.

Any advice on how to make this shift would be appreciated. I know it's a weird situation. I have bought a book on making castings and a lathe, I'm planning on getting a Machinery's Handbook: Toolbox (thirtieth edition) and have been doing research and trying to learn as much as I can on my own, but I'd like to try to speed up this transition as much as possible. I have experience programming in python and I know a little bit about databases and use Linux as my operating system (and am comfortable in the terminal) but I don't know CNC programming yet.

TLDR: Current software development project manager wants to become a tool and die maker and machinist and doesn't know where to get started to make this career shift.

Enroll in a machining program at a Vocational/Technical college. I just graduated this past Dec. from a CNC machine tool operator program. Was wondering if I should carry on and do the Tool & Die program, which some of my classmates continued on to, but I was just tired after 2 years of full time college. Regret it now.

I am someone who really only understands by doing / practical expereince so the college education was invaluable. In your neck of the woods you might not have decent technical colleges. Here we are lucky to have very good Machining programs and technical colleges.

When I first started out, a close friend and tool maker of well over 40 years (was also tool room and engineering manager for a well known progressive stamping firm) told me this...you have to hop jobs, not only for better pay but moreso for the knowledge. He mentioned that 5 different jobs in 5-6 years would give you a good advantage. Here's how I did it,

1) medical part maker, first ever cnc job...2 or 3 months laid off 17/hr

2) small valve parts from plastic...hence the name plastikdreams, left due to abusive boss after 6 or 7 months, 18/hour

3) took advanced gcode and masterCAM courses started at a local mold shop. Worked there about a year, laid off, 20/hr

4) job shop/blow pin mfg, stayed there over a year, left for a shop lead position. 22/hr

5) shop lead, got experience with cnc lathe convo programming. Fired for whistleblowing 28/hour.

6) job shop as only machinist and programmer mostly helicopter hook (load beam etc) parts. Learned to work with exotic materials, boss was abrasive but I was learing and having fun, left for a closer job and a little more money after maybe a year and a half. 28/hr

7) major medical implant manufacturer, running mits wire edm and sinker machines 10 hours a day 4 on 3 off overnight.i really got to know those machines. After 2 or so years, they needed a guy for the prototype shop and I was given the job. Everything was made from 17-4 unless it was graphite lol. Company was in money trouble and my name came up for the axe (long story) so due to high headcount I was let go, 29/hr

8) current position is toolmaker "A" at a large manufacturer, we make parts for the high pressure (hot) area of jet turbines, mainly blades, vanes, and shrouds. 3 miles from home and all the overtime I can handle. I finally made it lol. Over 32/hour.

It takes determination and a strong will. Every time I got knocked down I got back up and drove on. Be prepared to do this. Every shop will be different, you will learn different stuff at each shop...keep it in your pocket, knowing 5 ways of facing or turning a part may very well save your ass some day lol.

The Carolinas have been growing Industrially for the past say 20 years. I would look into a related field 'Metrology'. I think there is a College down that way, for it. Still, if you can find a Votech or even High School that teaches some machining, welding etc. It might give you a taste of what you are in for.

Check with Richard King. I mean it.

The description of your past experience suggests your detail oriented. You made 10 years in the military so you must have been able to deal with all types of personalities. And your tech savvy.

Check out Richard Kind...maybe, if nothing else, you could give the machine rebuilding trade a trial run by simply attending his training classes.

Maybe Richard Kind could benefit from your tech savvy and you could benefit being exposed to learning and practicing a skill that few engage in.

Maybe there would be a business opportunity.

Look him up. He's shared his knowledge all around the world. Edited to add: And, doing a few of the classes you get to rub elbows and network with some who are involved in the trade. Sort of a test drive and try out.

Sounds like it might be something to look into---more specialized.

"The best way to do a thing, is to do it."
You start at the bottom the way most of us did.
Running parts in a shop, learning all you can.
I love what I do, and I'm never leaving it.

This post is me seeking advice from folks on how to make a career shift (a major one) from being a project manager for software development teams, into eventually becoming a tool and die maker and machinist (I'm interested in both jobs).

A little about my background: I'm in my 30s, and although I currently work in a very lucrative field, I'm fine with taking a major dip in pay to do something I find more fulfilling at this point.

In my current role, I don't work with my hands, or make anything. There's no end state I can point to and say: "Look I did x". I find this deeply frustrating. In my previous experience, I was an engineering officer in the National Guard, and I completed my service honorably, I've also owned and operated two businesses I started myself.

My father was a machinist, later became an operations manager and then a VP, and now is finally retired. I know full well what the job entails and what it's like to work in that setting. It's something I've always been interested in doing, and I'm now in a position where I can take a cut in pay to do what I like, but I have no idea where to get started in this field, especially when I'm in my 30s, and I can't necessarily sign up for a high school shop program.

Any advice on how to make this shift would be appreciated. I know it's a weird situation. I have bought a book on making castings and a lathe, I'm planning on getting a Machinery's Handbook: Toolbox (thirtieth edition) and have been doing research and trying to learn as much as I can on my own, but I'd like to try to speed up this transition as much as possible. I have experience programming in python and I know a little bit about databases and use Linux as my operating system (and am comfortable in the terminal) but I don't know CNC programming yet.

TLDR: Current software development project manager wants to become a tool and die maker and machinist and doesn't know where to get started to make this career shift.

This is what I would suggest. I would go to your local community college (That has a tool and die program) and find the administrator there who runs the apprentice program there. Ask him/her which shops pay for their students education and which ones require their students to pay their own way. If you can get that info then apply to the first couple of classes on your own and pay for them yourself. Work hard in class and get good grades, then take the grades to the shops that pay for their apprentices education and ask to speak to the president of the company. Show him your interest and your willing to work hard in class, let him know you are interested in starting at the bottom. I think you will get your foot in the door that way. But the money wont be good, just the education, not till you get through your four year apprenticeship.

Another possible option that can be low cost and get you some hands on in very short order is to look for local 'maker-spaces' or 'hacker-spaces' and see if there is one in your area that has machining abilities... These spaces are often 'collaborative groups' of people that want to make things, sometimes hobbyist, sometimes pro, sometimes in between... By getting together with other like minded folks it is possible to get tools that wouldn't be practical / affordable to purchase as individuals, but as a shared resource, it becomes practical...

I have no idea what is available in your area - spaces vary hugely in size, equipment, and so on. I have the good fortune to be an 'inmate' at the Artisan's Asylum in MA, which is one of the worlds top spaces, and we have shop areas that do everything from fabric arts to welding and precision machining... (several Bridgeports, a couple of lathes, a surface grinder, etc...)

Our basic policy (which is typical) is that anyone can join as a member, and after taking either a brief course in basic operations, or demonstrating prior knowledge (i.e. you know enough not to be a danger to self and others, and hopefully not break the machines) we turn you loose.... The machines aren't the most modern and have more than a bit of wear, but certainly will let you get the 'physical hands on' experience of learning basic machining, and then some CNC stuff.

Most spaces have a strong 'knowledge sharing' culture where part of the fun of the place is sharing what you know, and helping others figure out how to solve problems.

(because of our location we have a lot of members that graduated from MIT, Northeastern, Harvard, etc. and no longer had access to their college shops, so we are their place to get their 'maker fix')

ex-Gooserider

Well poop, kinda, the post I was replying to was a spammer who thankfully is gone now but still ... the question he posed dumped me down the rabbit hole of what do you want from life and really a new matador, a new mastodon, a maverick a mustang a montego wasn't what I had in mind this week ... but what I found has me extremely upset. This guy gets paid to do this job. Job ? who am I kidding, this is a job ? We're all commie rats here, everybody equal, but obviously some of us is more equal than others, I am well and truly pissed now, I demand to see the commisar in charge of work assignments !

what the heck were we thinking when we signed on this bus ? We coulda been somebody, we coulda been contendahs. Jeeze :(

Last edited:
I am kind of in the same boat as you. Im a master electrician with my own business for 20 years and I want to be a machinist, crazy huh. But I get a high off on bringing something out of raw metal that I dont get with my business. I like doing electrical but I love doing machine work. Right now I have an expensive hobby with all the machines I have aquired but hope one day I can start a small manual machine shop.

Im 54 by the way! Probably to late in the game for me, But I can dream.

I am kind of in the same boat as you. Im a master electrician with my own business for 20 years and I want to be a machinist, crazy huh. But I get a high off on bringing something out of raw metal that I dont get with my business. I like doing electrical but I love doing machine work. Right now I have an expensive hobby with all the machines I have aquired but hope one day I can start a small manual machine shop.

Im 54 by the way! Probably to late in the game for me, But I can dream.
I work with a flock of IBEW Master sparkies...."Don't quit your day job"

Yea I tried getting a job as an machinist and found out I could make more money flipping burgers. No joke.

Maybe be it will just be a hobby.

Well, let's look at this logically. Flipping burgers, you can learn how to do in about ten minutes and be as productive as a guy who's been there for 20 years.

Don't work that way for a machinist or toolmaker. You can't expect to get paid as well as someone that can outproduce you 10:1 if you're just starting out. Not to mention all the hand-holding and training needed, which takes up another guy's productive time in addition. You have to make an investment in yourself (time at lower pay while making a serious effort at learning) to get an employer to want to make one in you.

I had NO PROBLEM with taking a huge cut in pay. I told the employer that would happily clean toilets and sweep the floors as long as I would get trained.

Well poop, kinda, the post I was replying to was a spammer who thankfully is gone now but still ... the question he posed dumped me down the rabbit hole of what do you want from life and really a new matador, a new mastodon, a maverick a mustang a montego wasn't what I had in mind this week ... but what I found has me extremely upset. This guy gets paid to do this job. Job ? who am I kidding, this is a job ? We're all commie rats here, everybody equal, but obviously some of us is more equal than others, I am well and truly pissed now, I demand to see the commisar in charge of work assignments !

what the heck were we thinking when we signed on this bus ? We coulda been somebody, we coulda been contendahs. Jeeze :(
Damn, another deranged Tubes fan. They're everywhere, I tell ya!

I've been in the industry for almost 30 years. I started out as an apprentice in a gauge shop. I didn't do any CNC work for the first 5 years. Now that's what I primarily do unless we need a form tool for an odd ball feature. like any job it has pros and cons to it. I think that we should be encouraging the younger generation to join the field as we are getting to the point where a vast majority of the skilled machinist are aging out.

Back