What's new
What's new

How to post an image on Practical Machinist

• Thread starter Admin5
  • Start date
  • Replies 196
  • Views 111,322
Bottom line, does anyone know the proper way to set up these photo/video sites ?
Hi Gatz,

I don't use any of the public sites.

The preferred option for photos, if they're small enough, is to use the Attachment feature on this site. It gives a thumbnail at the bottom of the post. Click on the thumbnail for a full-size image. The downside is that you can't post large files.

The second alternative, which I normally use, is to put the stuff on your personal website. I have a few of my own to choose from. Most ISPs provide a website as part of your subscription. You may not have used it at all. That site would not be linked to anything else, so there's no security concern.

To put a photo on any website you need an FTP program. The easiest one I've found is a freebie add-on to Firefox. If you're not already using that browser I would strongly suggest you try it.

All you have to do to use the add-on is provide the URL, user name and password for the site you want to access. You click on the Connect command, and the connection is established automatically. Then you either drag and drop or double-click on files that you wish to send and away they go (remaining on your local computer, of course).

- Leigh

Irfanview to the rescue

Yeah, that Powertoy (Image Resizer)is great if you are running XP. However, if you are running Vista (as I am) you are out of luck!
To my knowledge there is nothing even close to that item for Vista.
I'm not familiar with Powertoy, so I can't offer a comparison.

However, Irfanview is the best graphic file view/manager on the planet, it works with Vi$ta and Windows 7, and it's FREE.

www.irfanview.com

Download the basic program and the add-ons. Install the program first, then the add-ons.

To resize a pic, bring it up in Irfanvew and press Ctrl-R. This brings up a resize dialog with a bunch of options. The algorithms are excellent, retaining all of the detail of the original (to the extent possible).

The program does all sorts of other manipulations and file format conversions.

- Leigh

Thanks!

I printed and followed the instructions by the list admin and had it work first time. Thanks!

I'm just starting to learn machine tool skills and am delighted to have found this forum. It is a wonderful source of information.

Darrel
Sonoma, CA

starting a new thread and adding attachments

If I try to add an attachment after clicking on new thread I get this message: (Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator). If I click reply to thread as like here then it works ok. Am I missing something or not doing something correct?

Thanks,
Eddie

I am not the only one I see.

I have been reading other replys and as a couple of you said you could attach your photos when replying. Yes I was too but it worked here on a reply.:crazy: Now on to trying to get it to work when I started a new thread. I see that what is new to me is the pictures open under another program or something. Well this may be my only hope as I leave "Does anyone know what the parts in my pics are? They came with my 1919 'Change Gear' 16" SB I bought this year. I know this isn't the right place but,:eek: I may not get it anywhere else???
Invent_4U

Attachments

• a whatisit for the 16 2.jpg
    a whatisit for the 16 2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 268
  • a whatisit for the 16 3.jpg
    a whatisit for the 16 3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 269
  • a whatisit for the 16 4jpg.jpg
    a whatisit for the 16 4jpg.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 208
  • a whatisit for the 16 5jpg.jpg
    a whatisit for the 16 5jpg.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 263
I don't think I'm expert, and I'm ancient enough not to count as the modern generation, but I've Posted pictures without any problems. Apart from thinking that the allowed size for a (local) jpeg is pretty miserable, what's the problem?
The only thing that I can guess is that they're trying to upload enormous images. I don't know what version of the software this Site is running, but other Sites I belong to automatically resize images.
Alan

I am not 'Belly Floppin' sure what I am going to accomplish by this but I hope I can readdress my 10/10/2010 #170 permalink posting asking for help with what this attachment I recieved with my 1919 South Bend 40-E 16" X 72". I still have not had any ideas that seam to be it. When I posted that I didn't think my photos were coming through. Sorry. Any ideas will help so please help.
Invent_4U

Last edited:
What is the trick to posting "Attached Thumbnails"?

The small, photo strip, that when you click on one of the photos, it enlarges in a window, and you can click forward or backwards between pics.

Thanks,

Greg

On edit: I figured it out! You load the attachment directly from your own computer, not from a website like Photobucket.

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 298
Uploading photos using Firefox

I have tried several times to upload photos using my default browser, which is Firefox and it does not work. It will not allow me to upload the photos. I get some unintelligible error message.

I checked and changed most of my settings, but I can't get it to work.

Works fine with Internet Explorer.

Any one have any ideas on what the issue may be?

I am having difficulty posting images after reducing them to 56kb,others I have posted were larger than these.I followed procedure as always and continually get the "red X".
Ant direction/help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gauge Man

DSCF3253_zpso1hpocgd.jpg.html

test

Last edited:

Back