What's new
What's new

How to properly manually program chamfers and radii on a lathe

cosmos_275

Hot Rolled
Can anyone point a noob to some info on how to manually program a lathe for chamfers and radii? What I currently do for chamfers is guesstimate the X Z coords /add some extra for tip radius. This has got to be a total hack job. I see this:

but no mention of radius compensation, I'm thinking the rad of chamfer will come out undersized if used as is. Help is appreciated

I've read the second thread before. So, don't use G41 and add a compensation value to the C value? What for R value? Thanks

If you are using G41/G42 (tool nose radius compensation) make sure your are using the correct G code and have the correct tool nose radius values in your tool offsets. Then just program to the numbers.

Some machines will let you program square corners and add a " ,R.03 " to add a .03 radius to the corner or a " ,C.03 " to add a .03 chamfer. I believe Haas has some good information on that. I think you need to be using tool nose radius compensation for those to work.

If using radius compensation, the tool radius should be smaller than internal-corner radius.

Can anyone point a noob to some info on how to manually program a lathe for chamfers and radii? What I currently do for chamfers is guesstimate the X Z coords /add some extra for tip radius. This has got to be a total hack job. I see this:

but no mention of radius compensation, I'm thinking the rad of chamfer will come out undersized if used as is. Help is appreciated
On a Fanuc, if C-axis control is there, then the address C for chamfering cannot be used. Instead, I and K are used depending on whether the next G01 is radial or axial.

Yes. But not permitted in lead-in/lead-out moves.

However, these cannot be used for defining the profile in roughing cycles ...
1677688883476.png

This limitation has been relaxed in model D. However, it is not permitted in the Q block (last block).

Last edited:

Back