What's new
What's new

How to put the table back on a Vernier FV3A?

Perhaps this works
Remove the fixed nut Then put the leadscrew and table in so it just extends the position of the fixed nut Then turn the fixed nut on Srew it in place You might need to adjust the moving nut while tightening the fixed nut
Then install the bracket on the right

Peter
Unfortunately the fixed nut is fitted in from the left.

you posted while I typed :D
Try to turn the leadscree in from the other way around
See if that goes
If it is damaged somewhere I have good luck turning the nut/leadscrew on till it goes harder and then tapping it with a soft hammer turning it in in the meanwhile
Gently

Peter

you posted while I typed :D
Try to turn the fixed nut on the other way around
See if that goes
If it is damaged somewhere I have good luck turning the nut on till it goes harder and then tapping it with a soft hammer turning it on in the meanwhile
Gently

Peter
I will try that today.

The photograph of the machine and the drawing of the machine don’t marry up. Looking at the photo your machine has a second long travel hand wheel on the rh front of the machine. Are there any other, more significant, differences ?

Regards Tyrone.

The photograph of the machine and the drawing of the machine don’t marry up. Looking at the photo your machine has a second long travel hand wheel on the rh front of the machine. Are there any other, more significant, differences ?

Regards Tyrone.
My machine has a shaft alongside the leadscrew that is engaged by the powerfeed and front handwheel.

My machine has a shaft alongside the leadscrew that is engaged by the powerfeed and front handwheel.
Yes, most machines with an hand wheel on the front of the saddle have a similar arrangement. Sounds like you may have knocked up the ends of the fixed nut when you were trying to fit the screw blind. Get the fixed nut out of it’s housing and on the bench. Make sure it goes up and down the screw smoothly before you go any further.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
Well I got the table back on, sans the anti backlash nut and accidently sheared the pins holding in the key for the front handwheel.

I guess I am an idiot.

Replacing those pins involves removing everything from the saddle, can I just solder or glue it back in?

If the job was easy they’d just be dragging ’em in off the street to fix machine tools. Sounds like you got frustrated. It’s easily done. Some days you’ve just got to take a deep breath, walk away, and come back another another time.

I’d need a photo to help you with front hand wheel assembly.

Regards Tyrone

I decided to put the table back without the front handwheel assembly working as I need this machine running as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your help.

The FV3 is a nice machine, but as Tyrone says, different.
There are 2 shafts running within the table. One a conventional leads screw with handles on each end and a third to the right side of the operator on the front of the table. The second shaft is to power table accessories and there is a short handle near the front leadsrew wheel. This disengaged the leadsrew so turning any of the handwheel has no effect. I did take one of these tables off in the early 80s and can recall any big problems.

The FV3 is a nice machine, but as Tyrone says, different.
There are 2 shafts running within the table. One a conventional leads screw with handles on each end and a third to the right side of the operator on the front of the table. The second shaft is to power table accessories and there is a short handle near the front leadsrew wheel. This disengaged the leadsrew so turning any of the handwheel has no effect. I did take one of these tables off in the early 80s and can recall any big problems.
On reflection, maybe the short handle just disconnected the front facing handwheel. It's been a while!

Back