What's new
What's new

How to Safely and Efficiently Handle Large Discs into Lathe

In our machine shop we need to handle large and heavy discs. We need to lift them using our over-head crane.

Lathe chuck can fit up to approximately 44” OD

Max piece weight is 5,000 lbs

Are you aware of an existing piece of equipment that would allow for safe handling of these large discs and mounting them into our four jaw lathe chuck? Or another way to safely handle it.

I was thinking something along the line of the sketch shown might work (attached sketch), adjustable for various geometries of discs.

Any feedback is appreciated

Attachments

• RiggingJig.jpg
    RiggingJig.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 59
I like it!

Only thing that I might change would be the top jaw - if that could be s cinch-able slider, that would be better yet.
The top one doesn't see any weight, so it's just trying to keep it in place.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A VBM or Bullard is much better suited for this work.

Having said that, I have used a clamping plate dog (think C clamp on steroids) make sure it's thin enough on the backside to clear the chuck jaws.
Might want to burn out a custom one.

Getting the part back off the lathe after finish machining might be a problem though. The dog biting into a freshly machined surface.
EDIT: similar to these, some have a square head for a wrench instead of a small handle:

Last edited:
I have used double c-clamps many times, but not @ 5500#.
They are OK up to maybe 1000# or so, but for his weight, I like this tool!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My parts aren't that big, but I use something similar welded up from flatbar. I don't use a top catch, just set the lower hooks out far enough that the disc can't tip.

Does seem like vertical lathe territory.

Only thing about your sketch I don't like is it appears to have a pivot for the lower arms. If the weight shifts it could push the arms apart and set the disc loose. I would suggest making the upside-down "Y" solid and if necessary make others in different sizes.

Only thing about your sketch I don't like is it appears to have a pivot for the lower arms. If the weight shifts it could push the arms apart and set the disc loose. I would suggest making the upside-down "Y" solid and if necessary make others in different sizes.
yes, a 3 jaw puller (which is what this resembles) does not pivot.
So i would make sure in building it, that those (2) legs are welded solid.
Scroll down to the bottom:https://www.bradleylifting.com/blog/crane-wheel-handling-devices/

Are these solid discs or do they have an opening? Perhaps in the center? Can you give them a bore?

Four-jaw chuck you better replace by face plate. Discs, if possible, should be clamped axially. And +1 for carousel lathe

plate dog, weld an eye bolt to an edge, drill and tap for a 3/8 or even 5/16 eye bolt....
your lifting jig is going to want to tilt/flip. Center of mass above lifting supports.

Back