What's new
What's new

How to use a SPEGO bar feeder on Hardinge T-42

clevtool

Plastic
We have a Spego 66-13 hydraulic bar feed that came with the machine we bought a few years back. It advances and retracts in manual mode. Beyond that I have no idea how to use it (in Auto). Our other machines have pneumatic feeders, with air on, open collet, move, close collet. Can anyone guide me on what is needed with the hydro? Is there a code to activate, turn on...?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

13engines

Hot Rolled
Hi Mike,

Seeing as the bar feed came with the machine, I'll assume it's already wired in correctly.

I use an old Spego on a Mori Seiki machine. M70 turns on the bar feed and I think M71 turns it off. Your M codes may vary. You'll need to have the Spego in auto mode and leave it running pretty much the whole time the program is running. At least as long is the spindle is turning that's fore sure.

The cowling up on the lathe end of the Spego has to be pulled out as this is one of the 2 or 3 safety interlocks. The other is in the back that senses if the Spego is in the load or run position. Can't recall if there is one sensing whether the thing is locked or not with the big lever towards the front. Then there is the Bar End sensor that will signal the control that the pusher is full out. My machine doesn't always throw an alarm right away with the Bar End Signal. Sometimes it will after awhile or if I pause the program or something. Not certain on the specifics of that. Usually as soon as the Bar End lights, (and let me tell you that light flashing on top can steer ships into harbor in dense fog) I switch the Spego to manual and retract the pusher, then shut it off and hand feed the remainder of the bar to the stop in the turret as needed for the remainder of the bar This eliminates the machine stopping on me, and none of it causes any alarms on my machine. Note your programming will need to be suitable for manual intervention if your shop rules allow for it.

I guess you need to find out what your bar feed M codes are. There is also a physical switch in my magnetics cabinet that makes the system valid or not.

Hopefully your instruction labels are still readable about adjusting the pressure and speed.

Last edited:
I'm looking for an electrical and schematic diagram for a Spego 506. I'm looking to hook it up to a new Hyundai Lathe. Thanks in advance.

13engines

Hot Rolled
This is all I got. Says it's for "all" versions except for something that I can't make out. It says Hardinge but I used it to guide me while hooking up my Mori Seiki. You may or may not have all the Relays. From what I understand, one or more were options.

If your Speed Pressure label is missing, you turn the speed dial all the way open and start advancing the pressure dial to get the pressure you're after. I'm usually operating in the 12 -18 pound range. Once you set the pressure, you start closing the speed dial until the pressure dial just starts to drop. That's it. Of course this is with a bar in and held fast with your chuck or a work stop. Remember that the pressure you use is being continuously applied to the back side of all your spindle bearings. Not a terrible thing, but use only as much pressure as you need to move the stock positively. Of course the heavier and larger the bar, the more pressure you'll need.

Attachments

• SPEGO_3.JPG
    SPEGO_3.JPG
    376.6 KB · Views: 3
  • SPEGO_2.JPG
    SPEGO_2.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 3
  • SPEGO_1.JPG
    SPEGO_1.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 3