What's new
What's new

How were these 1970's winch bumpers formed?

never underestimate what 600-1000T can do. also don't forget most bumpers were chrome plated prior to this era, and its possible some of the finishing steps to remove press marks would have been in the production line (truck lines were/are often "legacy", previously body on frame car plants), or at least the corporate memory. these might have been done as prep for paint.

Last edited:
The side wings on these bumpers are 30" total. Two 1/4" inside radius 90 bends 28" long. The original material is 10 gauge mild steel. I would like in increase material thickness to 3/16" A36.

Can anyone share or point me in the direction of determining what the press tool would look like to form these parts properly? My bar napkin math says this would require around 150 tons for the forming, 20 tons in the die cushion and 20 tons to the blankholder. Say 200 tons total.

20230417_102105.jpg
20230417_102137.jpg20230417_102157.jpg

Attachments

• 20230417_102105.jpg
    20230417_102105.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm wondering how many of these you want to make.

Onesies twosies could be as simple as shrinking the flanges after forming. Seems like possible tooling costs/methods is dependent on production numbers.

I'm wondering how many of these you want to make.

Onesies twosies could be as simple as shrinking the flanges after forming. Seems like possible tooling costs/methods is dependent on production numbers.

Nowhere near the thousands that would justify a larger press than the 300 ton I have.

I think a reasonable approach for me will be forming the channel with all the features except the 8" radius bend. Do the bend in a compression tool in the same press or I could add a rotary draw bender. I feel like the rotary draw bender would make a nicer part.

And so I was compelled to spend an hour watching videos of rotary draw benders. It's all your fault and I hope you're suitably ashamed of yourself. (Just kidding.) And the perfect way to recover from doing my taxes. (NOT kidding.)

Why did they make so many rotary benders with mandrel extractors? They're everywhere like that. What if I want a rotary draw bender WITHOUT any of that crap? I don't want a 20' long machine to make 3' long parts.

Say I could buy a 3"X.120 mandrel bender that needs some TLC for $500. Could I cut the mandrel extractor and 15' off the backside to create a reasonably sized machine for the work I want I want to do?

I don't need a mandrel bender. I farm all that out and they do great work.

The one I saw had a very large (4' diameter at least) flat turntable.
Not at all like a Pines tubing bender.

Back