What's new
What's new

Hunting for 10EE Taper Attachment Parts

Torquin

Aluminum
Hello everyone,
I am on the hunt for the taper attachment bed clamp and the rod that goes from the clamp to the taper attachment on my 10EE. I made/adapted these pieces for my 14" in the past, but I want to see if there is something out there to buy before I make them for this lathe. Nothing on Ebay at this time.
If anyone has these or knows where to look, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello everyone,
I am on the hunt for the taper attachment bed clamp and the rod that goes from the clamp to the taper attachment on my 10EE. I made/adapted these pieces for my 14" in the past, but I want to see if there is something out there to buy before I make them for this lathe. Nothing on Ebay at this time.
If anyone has these or knows where to look, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Those parts are very rare. There has been talk of casting them, but I haven't seen that happen. They are usually either missing or broke.
My lathe came with both pieces but the lip on the bed clamp is broke off.

Does your apron still have the bracket on the bottom of the taper attachment that the rod screws into?

I hope someone can help you out here.

Torquin, I have a bed clamp, minus the bolt & flat bar, so just the cast bracket. Oddly, that's the Only part I have for a T.A. and my 10EE doesn't have/need one, so.... email me (I don't check here often enough) Belvedere66 at hotmail dot com

Todd

Torquin, I have a bed clamp, minus the bolt & flat bar, so just the cast bracket. Oddly, that's the Only part I have for a T.A. and my 10EE doesn't have/need one, so.... email me (I don't check here often enough) Belvedere66 at hotmail dot com

Todd
Sorry, this site does not notify me of replies so I have to remember to check it, and in this case I forgot. I will send you email for pics of what you have.

Thanks,
Chris

"A sort of informal survey on PM as to TA's in general also found easily half of us - perhaps even the majority? ..Don't really care if we have one or not."

That's a fair statement in my mind. I have a 14-1/2" S.B. that has a few parts of a T.A. and I was hunting for the rest. My Crossfeed screw was a T.A. screw, like the Monarch and without the rest, I needed a solution. I decided to change it back to a standard crossfeed as it was quicker, easier and cheaper, plus I haven't needed to turn a taper (on purpose) longer than my compound could accommodate anyways.

Oddly, My 10EE uses the T.A. dial assy and slip fit screw, but has an O.E.M. bearing block at the back to support the screw and keep it captive. I assume they had an overrun of T.A. screws/dials and needed a way to use them in production machines, OR... they did that for machines that you could "upgrade" at a later time, tho I understand the process of aligning the T.A. was a factory deal, just like machining the nut to proper height... ?

"Or use the offset capability of the tailstock."
That's the way I was going on the longer bars if need be, but without the tailstock having graduated adjustment.. . I've seen a few very nice adjustable offset centers, tho maybe a tad less accurate than a T.A., still a great option.

So, I now have the bed clamp. Need to make the rod that goes between the clamp and the taper attachment. I made one for my Series 60, but don't have the specs for this one. Can anyone supply me with the specs for that rod? It seems to be about .5" diameter with a smaller thread on one end, but that thread is countersunk deep in the taper attachment and I have not found what it is be sticking various bolts in to see if they would thread in. Need length and thread info, please.

Thanks,
Chris

So, I now have the bed clamp. Need to make the rod that goes between the clamp and the taper attachment. I made one for my Series 60, but don't have the specs for this one. Can anyone supply me with the specs for that rod? It seems to be about .5" diameter with a smaller thread on one end, but that thread is countersunk deep in the taper attachment and I have not found what it is be sticking various bolts in to see if they would thread in. Need length and thread info, please.

Thanks,
Chris
Its 3/8" diameter
26 1/2" long
Its threaded 3 1/2" on the bed clamp end.
Its threaded 7/8" long on the taper attachment end.
National fine thread both ends.
The knurled round adjusting nuts are 7/8" diameter. National fine thread.

I'll get a photo of the bracket that screws to the taper attachment later. Have to run

That bracket screws to the bottom of the Taper Attachment.
The round nuts straddle the clamp to adjust.
Explanation not really needed

20220819_122600.jpg20220819_122624.jpg

Last edited:
Its 3/8" diameter
26 1/2" long
Its threaded 3 1/2" on the bed clamp end.
Its threaded 7/8" long on the taper attachment end.
National fine thread both ends.
The knurled round adjusting nuts are 7/8" diameter. National fine thread.

I'll get a photo of the bracket that screws to the taper attachment later. Have to run

Mine is different. There is a hole that aligns with the bed clamp on the underside of the taper attachment. This hole is a countersink hole, .5" countersink diameter, 1.819" deep, with 3/8, or smaller threaded hole at the bottom. I have tried 3/8-16 and 24, and neither screw in. That thread is the main think I am trying to figure out at this time. I will attach a pic of the underside of the taper attachment.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• 20220820_080422s.jpg
    20220820_080422s.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 6
Mine is different. There is a hole that aligns with the bed clamp on the underside of the taper attachment. This hole is a countersink hole, .5" countersink diameter, 1.819" deep, with 3/8, or smaller threaded hole at the bottom. I have tried 3/8-16 and 24, and neither screw in. That thread is the main think I am trying to figure out at this time. I will attach a pic of the underside of the taper attachment.

Thanks,
Chris
That is a stronger attachment than that little cast bracket. Make sure you don't have two tapped holes in the bottom of the T.A.. If that hole is aligned, it must be for the rod.
Maybe its 5/16" N.F. It looks too small to be 7/16"

Last edited:
I kept messing with it and finally got 3/8-24 to go in. It's 3/8" at the clamp end too, so I'm just going to use a piece of allthread and make two thumb nuts for it.

Chris

That look like mine, and my taper attachment uses the 3/8-24 rod.

Try moving the slide to the center of the attachment and look into the hole on the bottom of the attachment. You should be able to see the bracket that takes the rod.

10EE_taper_rod_bracket.jpg

Now I see what you speak of. Mine is partially broken. Thanks so much for all of the info. I am still familiarizing myself with this lathe, as al I have ever run is bigger units.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• 20220822_17355233.jpg
    20220822_17355233.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 7

Back