What's new
What's new

Hurco VM1G Spindle Clamping too slow.

Jasko

Plastic
Hello all, I was hoping someone can help me with an issue.

Machine is 2005 Hurco VM1G. When it is doing tool change the spindle clamping is too slow, therefore errors the machine and says spindle clamp not detected.

I will add a picture of the valve assembly inside the spindle cabinet. This sits on the right of the spindle. When I open the valve closest to me everything works great, however it will shoot all the hydraulic oil on the bottom of the spindle, therefore wastes all the oil, not to mention the compressor doesn't shut off. It's almost like when the spindle needs to clamp the excess air had nowhere to go and it takes too long to close. Any suggestions where to look next would help much, I am in the middle of a job.

Attachments

• IMG_5041.jpg
    IMG_5041.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231112_185040758.jpg
    IMG_20231112_185040758.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm not familiar with your specific machine, but any hydraulic system that both leaks and has entrapped air needs to have the leaks fixed and the air bled out. (There will be a bleed nipple somewhere in your system. Maybe even two.) Slow and/or incomplete clamping and unclamping of the tool is a sure sign of this.

First things first. Is it a simple air cylinder drawbar or is there an air/hydraulic system?

AFAIK hurco only put air/hydraulic drawbars on their 50 taper spindles, and I'm thinking that you have a simple air cylinder drawbar, which means that there shouldn't be any oil coming out anywhere when you actuate the drawbar cylinder.

If all the above is correct, then your air lines in the machine are full of oil which absolutely will make everything slow.

The valve you are referring to is a simple flow regulator / tap. It's there specifically to determine the speed of whatever is attached to it.

Make sure your lubricator is not dumping way too much oil into the air system.

Make sure your compressor is not dumping a lot of oil into its output.

Make sure the air exhaust is not clogged.

First things first. Is it a simple air cylinder drawbar or is there an air/hydraulic system?

AFAIK hurco only put air/hydraulic drawbars on their 50 taper spindles, and I'm thinking that you have a simple air cylinder drawbar, which means that there shouldn't be any oil coming out anywhere when you actuate the drawbar cylinder.

If all the above is correct, then your air lines in the machine are full of oil which absolutely will make everything slow.

The valve you are referring to is a simple flow regulator / tap. It's there specifically to determine the speed of whatever is attached to it.

Make sure your lubricator is not dumping way too much oil into the air system.

Make sure your compressor is not dumping a lot of oil into its output.

Make sure the air exhaust is not clogged.
I removed air exaust to eliminate that. What is a good way to go about bleeding oil from the system?

Post a pic of the actuator itself. You said it shoots oil on the bottom of the spindle?? From where? Sounds like you have an air/oil system and there is oil in the air side..

Post a pic of the actuator itself. You said it shoots oil on the bottom of the spindle?? From where? Sounds like you have an air/oil system and there is oil in the air side..
Sorry I didn't actually see oil, but I filled my hydraulic fluid and noticed all that was gone.

UPDATE:
I made a ticket with Hurco, and they suggested there could be air or moisture or oil trapped in the spindle. There is also a little exaust on the incoming regulator and I noticed that shut off and was plugged, the pressure also jumped over 100 psi.

Since I had the spindle cover off I made sure to clean the muffler's, but they were kind of clean so it didn't look like it was the issue. On the incoming air regulator where there is water separator and tool oil reservoir.. There was a little black box that the line went into after the regulator. On top of it there was a screw for venting. I opened that and a lot of oil came out, I assumed it was just the tool oil in the reservoir but it seemed like the pressure was more than 90PSI. I vented that, regulated pressure and compressor closer to 90psi, and everything now works faster than it was before. So I am assuming that I had the air and oil trapped in there due to the vent clogging up and pressure going above 100 psi. Hopefully no long term damages.
I am going to leave this here in case anyone else needs it. Hopefully that was the worst of it. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Back