What's new
What's new

Hwacheon 17" x 40" lathe -- what's it worth?

metal-ica

Cast Iron
My dad bought this lathe in 1991. It saw daily use in the 90's. It has been barely used since. Last December I pulled it from the shop and put it under a tent.

Broken coolant pump. 3 phase. Some surface rust but slides smooth.

A friend of mine is coming today to take a look.

I don't want it sitting under a tent for another winter and would like to see it go to a good home.

5c collet closer
3 jaw chuck
face plate
steady rest
misc tooling

What is a fair price for this between acquaintances?

Attachments

• IMG_3714 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3714 (Small).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3715 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3715 (Small).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3716 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3716 (Small).JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3717 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3717 (Small).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 118
depends on general condition obviously, but is there detectable bed wear near the headstock? what brand and condition are the chuck and collets?

looks very good, and in general, that's a desirable machine, I think that it would sell reasonably quickly at 5K with those accessories. 3K would certainly be a friendly price if it checks out.

Location will drive a lot of the sale pricing as well. Where is the machine? Also why is it sitting in a tent and not a building of some variety?

I'd say 1000 to 3000, depends on how much you like that friend. See 2 on ebay right now at 7k and 10k, but we all know they did not bring that at the last auction. Nice looking lathe, good selection of tooling, the known issues are minor.

Are you f'ing insane :eek:

That lathe all day, any day of the week, (assuming ways are in great shape) is worth $5k MINIMUM, here in SoCal, maybe different elsewhere. As that looks like the equivalent to the MS1000, definatly worth good money

That lathe at a local SoCal dealer would be $10k+

At auction I've seen them bought by dealers for $5k.

Friends and family price $5k. Don't let them take advantage of you

It's in the SF Bay area.

Some wear on on the bed near the head stock. I haven't measured it and it doesn't seem excessive.

I moved it out of the shop to make room for a new cnc mill. I just wasn't using it much.

Are you f'ing insane :eek:

That lathe all day, any day of the week, (assuming ways are in great shape) is worth $5k MINIMUM, here in SoCal, maybe different elsewhere. As that looks like the equivalent to the MS1000, definatly worth good money

That lathe at a local SoCal dealer would be $10k+

At auction I've seen them bought by dealers for $5k.

Friends and family price $5k. Don't let them take advantage of you
He asked for OPINION on a "friends price", I gave my opinion. General sales price, somewhere between 5 and 10K, depends on the sunshine, direction of wind, and maybe the lunar phase.

He asked for OPINION on a "friends price", I gave my opinion. General sales price, somewhere between 5 and 10K, depends on the sunshine, direction of wind, and maybe the lunar phase.

I wouldn't sell that for $1-3k, unless it was a brother of mine. That doesn't include a brother of another mother

If maybe a friend wanted to tinker in his garage maybe making a few motorcycle parts for himself, that's one thing, what happens if said friend then starts making lots of money on the lathe, different story.

If it was a friend, then I'd help them move the lathe, show them how to run the machine, better value then a cheap price.

what happens if said friend then starts making lots of money on the lathe

You are happy for them? And grateful it went to a good home, and got out of your way like you wanted? Sheesh glad to not be your friend.

My opinion, I think $2500 would be a really good deal for a buddy, and $5k would be fair for everyone, though also near the best you will get on CL with a reasonable amount of effort not having to wait for long. I'm in southern AZ where we do not have an excess of used machinery, but probably also not as expensive of a place for everything as CA which may or may not sway prices some.

Edit: My opinion is also calculating that while your buddies can trust everything you say about the condition, a stranger on craigslist won't. And it is sitting outside in a tent not under power (I'm guessing), and wanting it gone in the next month.

Last edited:
You are happy for them? And grateful it went to a good home, and got out of your way like you wanted? Sheesh glad to not be your friend.

Yea to a certain extent, but I don't want to be taken advantage of, even by friends.

Plus I'm not in a financial position to be giving stuff away.

The other thing is I think it's not a good idea to do business with friends, especially if their expecting the "friends and family" deal. Too much to go wrong, feelings hurt etc etc.

If your willing to take that risk with your friends, go for it. I value my friends to much to add any stress to the friendship. Evidently you don't Each to his own.

My true friends know I'm not in a financial position to give stuff away, and know not to ask. and vice versa

I gotta say, anyone who puts a lathe like that outside under tent needs to have their headstock examined....

If I heard over the phone that it was "moved outside under a tent last year", I would have expected the worst haha. I would have reluctantly still gone to see it though, and been very pleasantly surprised to find that nice looking of a lathe under that "tent".

Glad you worked something out with your friend. I could imagine that lathe having some sentimental value, and would be nice to know if it went to a good home.

Last edited:
His 'tent' may be more water tight than my house ...

"My true friends know I'm not in a financial position to give stuff away"

Umm, yeah. I had a friend 'forcing' me to take multiple hundred dollar bills from him awhile back, when I told him the work I did was a 'favor for a friend'. Literally made me cry ...

Back