What's new
What's new

Hydmech Saw Recommend/Opinion

Houdini

Titanium
Just thought I would put this out there for those looking for a new saw.
I bought a Hydmech H14-A a year and half a go, Its been awesome.
Like having another employee, literally.

I saw Peter/Edge Precision say once "why the fuq do you need a touch screen display on a saw" or something like that.

An option I haden't seen before was a Q option that allows you to program the saw for multiple different sizes, and number of those sizes, for a single bar of material.

We use this all the time because we have a couple large quantity parts that have multiple sizes out of the same size stock, so we can maximize parts per bar.

It is super nice to not have the sticky floor mess around the saw, this was my main OCD reason for buying a saw in a box, zero mess outside.(except what you create)

It also had 600 speed setting as apposed to a standard 300-350, so it's also suited for cutting Aluminum faster.

Servo feed so it feeds bars faster than a hydraulic feed, that was nice with having large volume of parts that are 24" long.

Having a 55 gallon coolant tank has been nice, coolant stays better longer, that's a given larger volumes.

It is nice to not have to manually clean out the machine, having a conveyor system is pimp!

It doesn't have a good way to pour a bucket of coolant in, one of the out panels above the conveyor could be fabbed into a inlet though easy peasy.

Nice to have a saw that cuts straight, and within .010"

Anyway hope this helps someone. :cheers:

The hydmech v18 is likely the best saw made. Every part is thought out and not cost engineered. The upper guide assembly is special.
The vw18 that has “more” capability is a toy engineered by someone who shouldn’t be in industrial machine design.

Tigerstop is is my/would be my preferred light positioner/miter controller.

That's a damn nice looking saw. Does Hydmech make a mitering version of that saw or are they straight only?

Man that's fancy schmancy!
I bought an Amada HA-250 (used) a year and a half ago or so. The reason I went after that one is that they've made pretty much the same saw since the 70's. All relay logic. Not that I have anything against HMI's but they tend to become obsolete quick. Relays don't.

Man that's fancy schmancy!
I bought an Amada HA-250 (used) a year and a half ago or so. The reason I went after that one is that they've made pretty much the same saw since the 70's. All relay logic. Not that I have anything against HMI's but they tend to become obsolete quick. Relays don't.
I thought about ordering a replacement, and just chucking in storage. (still might)

But I was like, nah even if it only lasted a few years, I'll just buy another saw.

The low, low price of $55k, OUCH!
Looks like the H14-A has grown up since I bought mine 23 years ago. $24k back then. But my old beast can do most things your newer one can. Coolant pump quit because it sat idle and coolant turned to yukka-muckka with thick texture of somebody blowing chunks (smelled like it too). Pump burned out and its location in the machine has left me unable to motivate myself to fix it. But for past ten years has been fed a diet of small dia 12 foot bars, 5 at a time. And once managed to stuff some 40 foot H beams into it for stock racks. Cuts a lot of stuff that gets welded so I don't care if dry cutting shortens blade life.
8 years ago a battery thingy died in the PLC and I had to ship that back to them and they sorted it out. Machine does not owe me a dime.

@Houdini We picked up one of these saws in to replace our 10 year old saw and have been struggling to get it running reliably for a few weeks now. All we run is aluminum solid round bar, 7-11" diameters.
We either have dished parts, or break blades after 10 hours of run time. Have tried several brands, carbide and bimetal, started with the Lenox recommendation of 500FPM and 6IPM. We have a gage for checking blade tension, and have tried using the spec. from both the blade manufacturer and Hydmech.
Even backing the settings way down to below what we ran on the old Cosen (IIRC, 325FPM and 3.5 IPM) it still seems to struggle to match the old saw, let alone double it as we were led it believe.

Care to share what you settled on for blades and cutting parameters in aluminum?

That's a big bar!
I'm no saw/blade espert but I would think relative you want a large spaced tooth If I remember correct.
I think it came with a 3/4 and they have like a 2/3
if your impatient and push too hard a saw will dish at wide widths, espeshly with dull blades.

I have the faster 660 version, sounds like you also, but I don't like waiting for it to ramp up and down, I think I have it set to 400 and feed of 7 with the force at round bar.

You might want to try a 2/3 for that width. or a 1.5/2

I have been using

hope this helps :cheers:

Yup, our go-to has been the 2/3 but we have been given some carbide blades to test and I believe they are 1.5/2. All carbide blades chatter like crazy for us on either saw, and I don't think they can feed any faster than bimetal since were limited to 660FPM.
Was hoping you had some secret sauce... but I suspect our saw was just built on a Friday afternoon or more likely first-thing on a Tuesday morning after a loooong holiday weekend.

Yup, our go-to has been the 2/3 but we have been given some carbide blades to test and I believe they are 1.5/2. All carbide blades chatter like crazy for us on either saw, and I don't think they can feed any faster than bimetal since were limited to 660FPM.
Was hoping you had some secret sauce... but I suspect our saw was just built on a Friday afternoon or more likely first-thing on a Tuesday morning after a loooong holiday weekend.
They were definitely behind schedule building macheens (5-6 months lead), and machines went out half assed. I found screws that weren't put in laying in the chip pan, and a couple grease fittings.
'some assembly required'
I modified some of the in deep parameters also that I didn't like.
gotta say my favorite machine to give me time back though, that and the Freddy Ecovac :D

I was gonna try carbide, but in 2 years I have only replaced that QXP blade once. So nah.

@Houdini We picked up one of these saws in to replace our 10 year old saw and have been struggling to get it running reliably for a few weeks now. All we run is aluminum solid round bar, 7-11" diameters.
We either have dished parts, or break blades after 10 hours of run time. Have tried several brands, carbide and bimetal, started with the Lenox recommendation of 500FPM and 6IPM. We have a gage for checking blade tension, and have tried using the spec. from both the blade manufacturer and Hydmech.
Even backing the settings way down to below what we ran on the old Cosen (IIRC, 325FPM and 3.5 IPM) it still seems to struggle to match the old saw, let alone double it as we were led it believe.

Care to share what you settled on for blades and cutting parameters in aluminum?
What about the guide rollers, are they properly aligned?

What about the guide rollers, are they properly aligned?
It has steel blade guides with deviation monitoring, but yeah, I would start checking the alignment of things.
especially since the machines were coming out hot due to being backed with orders.

Also the blade tension, it has a recommended setting in the manual, and preprogrammed to alarm out in the machine with a minimum deviation.
are you getting I forget what it is, I think 2750 blade tension.

dishing is one of the guides being out more than the other (new blade- all dishing the same- all blades wearing the same).

This sure isn't shaping up to be a great review of Hydmech saws.

Houdini, you haven't even used up one blade yet and you had to change parameters and find loose/missing parts?

GD has the big expensive monster beefy saw and can't even cut 7" al bar?

I have owned a lot of used 1" and 1-1/4" blade bandsaws in the 5-7.5hp range and the most I've paid is $800 and they all will rip right through 7" al bar very fast and perfectly straight. My shitbox 9x16 JET manual saw will cut 10" 4140PH straight within .01"

I'd be beyond pissed if I dropped the stupid bandsaw money you guys have and the thing wasn't an absolute animal right out of the box.

My first big saw was a 1964 Kalamazoo full auto. It was 5k lbs of fuck you that could cut atleast 14" tall and 24" wide. It worked flawless even having run production for 50 fucking years! I gave a whopping $140 for that saw and only sold it to upgrade to a programmable auto mitering saw.

My point is straight cutting, fuck you powerful, dead nuts accurate bandsaws have been a thing for atleast 60 years now.

Hydmech is fucking up big time if they can't do better than ancient tech.

This sure isn't shaping up to be a great review of Hydmech saws.

Houdini, you haven't even used up one blade yet and you had to change parameters and find loose/missing parts?

GD has the big expensive monster beefy saw and can't even cut 7" al bar?

I have owned a lot of used 1" and 1-1/4" blade bandsaws in the 5-7.5hp range and the most I've paid is $800 and they all will rip right through 7" al bar very fast and perfectly straight. My shitbox 9x16 JET manual saw will cut 10" 4140PH straight within .01"

I'd be beyond pissed if I dropped the stupid bandsaw money you guys have and the thing wasn't an absolute animal right out of the box.

My first big saw was a 1964 Kalamazoo full auto. It was 5k lbs of fuck you that could cut atleast 14" tall and 24" wide. It worked flawless even having run production for 50 fucking years! I gave a whopping $140 for that saw and only sold it to upgrade to a programmable auto mitering saw.

My point is straight cutting, fuck you powerful, dead nuts accurate bandsaws have been a thing for atleast 60 years now.

Hydmech is fucking up big time if they can't do better than ancient tech.
Yeah the settings were a preference not an incorrectness, but if your behind on mfg. don't cut corners to catch up, we all were in the virus supply demand deal, keep up the quality.
some screws, grease fitting setting in the pan, GD's machine is probably out of alignment if blade tension is good. :nono:

I haven't had one issue, except julio in the assembly bay.:D

Back