What's new
What's new

I apologize for the picture posted on the outlawed brand lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Way2Slow

Plastic
I just thought it was a neat item I came across. I have a "real" lathe and have been doing machine work for many years. Recently came across that one and couldn't pass it up. A lot of machinists got their start on the 10" and 12" version of that lathe. Once upon a time, when I was a whole lot younger and just starting out learning, I was cursing an old cheap lathe I was using, and guy made a comment that has stuck with me. Most average machinist can make $500 parts on a $15,000 lathe but it takes a real machinist to make a $500 on a $1,000 lathe. (this was back in the 60's so things were a lot cheaper then).

Most average machinist can make $500 parts on a $15,000 lathe but it takes a real machinist to make a $500 on a $1,000 lathe. (this was back in the 60's so things were a lot cheaper then).
I arrived at a similar understanding while attending the local JC. Most of the lathes were clapped out WWII Navy surplus South Bends. We learned to make good parts on sh*tty machines. It was a thrill to go to work in a real job shop with good lathes. Even the tired old Sheldon they put me on was better than the ones at school.

In before the lock.

Read the rules in the sticky before you get all butt hurt.

Fuck it. Lets welcome all the hobby shit here with open arms. Lets try that and see if turns out better than the other sites doing that exact thing.

He was showing pictures of something not asking questions about it...what the hell does that have to do with being a hobbiest?

Oh, I get it now!

He wasn't discussing an Atlas lathe- He was discussing a picture of an Atlas lathe!

Totally different scenario entirely. Gosh I misunderstood and I thought he was discussing the Atlas lathe that he had just bought and the picture was just accompanying the discussion of his Atlas lathe.

I didn't realize how out of touch I was with the rules this site was founded on.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Oh, I get it now!

He wasn't discussing an Atlas lathe- He was discussing a picture of an Atlas lathe!

Totally different scenario entirely. Gosh I misunderstood and I thought he was discussing the Atlas lathe that he had just bought and the picture was just accompanying the discussion of his Atlas lathe.

I didn't realize how out of touch I was with the rules this site was founded on.

Thanks for setting me straight!
There was no discussion about the lathe but about the pictures and maybe some nostalgia. One guy has earned a warning, don't be the second.

There was no discussion about the lathe but about the pictures and maybe some nostalgia. One guy has earned a warning, don't be the second.

I feel like there something going on here that isn't really clear.

What part of "Do not discuss Atlas lathes" means post pictures of your fucking Atlas lathes and talk about your Atlas lathes and accessories?

Why was the thread locked?

Why are you pushing back so hard against folks pointing out the very clear and basic rules this forum has run on for decades?

Didn't you try to get the rules changed and it didn't work out? Is this a continuation of your agenda?

It's spelled out clear as can possibly be in the rules for this forum that if you don't like the rules saying you cannot discuss hobby machines you need to go to another forum that does. With links to those sites.

That seems really clear to me.

The way you, as a moderator for this site, are handling these hobby posts is the confusing part to me and I'm sure many others as well.

I feel like there something going on here that isn't really clear.

What part of "Do not discuss Atlas lathes" means post pictures of your fucking Atlas lathes and talk about your Atlas lathes and accessories?

Why was the thread locked?

Why are you pushing back so hard against folks pointing out the very clear and basic rules this forum has run on for decades?

Didn't you try to get the rules changed and it didn't work out? Is this a continuation of your agenda?

It's spelled out clear as can possibly be in the rules for this forum that if you don't like the rules saying you cannot discuss hobby machines you need to go to another forum that does. With links to those sites.

That seems really clear to me.

The way you, as a moderator for this site, are handling these hobby posts is the confusing part to me and I'm sure many others as well.
There was an Atlas thread a little over a month ago that wasn't closed. And it was an Information thread.

It's not so much the content but the intent of the op. He was brining history, I'm 41, I've never seen a brand new Atlas lathe, other guys were happy to see it. The whole in before lock and rule touters have no place here. This is a glimpse at history plain and simple. And I will defend that no matter what.

There was an Atlas thread a little over a month ago that wasn't closed. And it was an Information thread.

It's not so much the content but the intent of the op. He was brining history, I'm 41, I've never seen a brand new Atlas lathe, other guys were happy to see it. The whole in before lock and rule touters have no place here. This is a glimpse at history plain and simple. And I will defend that no matter what.

I'm 40. I've seen a bunch of small lathes like that with barely any use at all. Never really thought it was unusual.

If you have the checkbook you can find countless minty HLV-H's and 10EE's and Bridgeports that had easy lives in R&D labs and the hobby shop's of the upper crust.

Sounds like the kind of topic that would fly under the radar in the antiques and history forum, but I disagree with you that it should be a subject in the mainstream areas of this site.

I'd be way more impressed if you showed me a new in the crate, never opened industrial machine. That would be pretty amazing.

A interesting piece of small machine tool history. I would still like to hear the backstory of how this NOS machine came to be, especially so well equipped.

Hard to believe, almost laughable now, but some of these machines did do production work and support work in mechanic shops. More than a few machinists cut their teeth on these lathes.

Way2slow, no apologies needed and please tell us how you came up with this time capsule.

There is official forum policy forbidding references to Atlas machines. As moderator of the Antique Machinery forum I have taken the liberty of permitting limited discussion of the Atlas equipment, as antique machinery, but not extending to assisting with debugging and operating them. Consequently, the machine discussed here would be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back