What's new
What's new

I found a Levin Micro Drill Press. What parts don't I have?

JST

Diamond
Found, in the basement of the Minnesota house, in a box labeled "heavy duty stand"... with the base of the DP 10 feet away in a pile of other stuff. It seems to be a model 0144-77, since it has no motor.

I looked it up, but did not find any manuals etc on-line (not surprising) which would tell me if I have all the parts. I had already found the base and carted it away as a useful looking item, without knowing what it was from. I see the items I have appear to be the whole thing barring a few parts

What I know I do not have (yet at least) is the handle for the table, the motor and the motor pulley. I do not know if there is anything else I should be looking for.

Here is the collection of parts that I found (the block on the table is a piece of plexiglas that appears to have been used as a backup for drilling):

uDAs919.jpg

dGzTAYu.jpg

The spindle is locked up by congealed grease, but looks otherwise OK. It appears to screw into the head, but also has two other threaded mounting holes in it. I think those are used when that same spindle design is used in other devices that Levin makes (such as the grinding and milling attachment), since they do not appear to have any use in the drill press.

It should nicely complement the little Boley WW lathe, in place of the no-name small old DP I use now.

L Vanice

Diamond
Those are nice drills, rather rare and expensive. I had one bought for $500 (the going price at the time) about 25 years ago, but the guy sold it to someone else instead. They turn up on eBay occasionally, and I see one recently went for $1136 + shipping. LEVIN PRECISION DRILL PRESS VGC | eBay

There may be some other online photos that could help identify the parts you need. I just have the Levin catalogs, which probably only have one picture.

They take 8 mm Webster Whitcomb collets or you can use an Albrecht or good quality geared drill chuck on a WW arbor. I have a good selection of all of those. But your Boley WW lathe probably has what you need for holding drill bits.

I can tell from your picture that the table-raising lever is the same one that fits the Levin rack and pinion lathe tailstocks, though I do not know offhand if they all have the same pinion shaft diameter. I have lots of those tailstocks and can provide a picture of the lever and some key dimensions.

The spindle assembly does look like the same one that Levin used for the lathe milling and grinding attachments, both of which use the two tapped holes to attach the spindle housing to their mating parts.

Larry

Levin WW tailstock 1 2.JPG.

JST

Diamond
Thank you. I hoped you would see this, as I knew you had Levin lathes, and thought you might have a drill press.

Yes, I would like general dimensions for the lever, if you would be so kind.

The link to the ebay sale is also helpful as it shows other views not in the catalogs I have seen. Thank you

JST

Diamond
The drill press is now working, and has drilled small holes, although it does need a couple things which are jury rigged now. They are in-progress. It was taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled for use.

It will take any size drill that fits in a WW collet, which means essentially up to 5mm or so, although it would probably be too fast for anything over about 4mm. It really does well with 0.012" drills.

L Vanice

Diamond
I found time to look at Levin feed levers today. The tailstock pinion shafts can be either 3/8" or 7/16" diameter. Some of them have a tapped hole for a lever with a matching male thread. I do have a NOS Levin lever with a 3/8" pinion shaft hole. Here are pictures.

DSC03005 (2).jpg DSC03006 (2).jpg

I guess you do not need dimensions now that you have made something to fit.

Larry

Last edited:

JST

Diamond
I appreciate the dimensions, I didn't make anything, just found a big knob (from a spare variac) that was the right size shaft hole, to use to check it out. I'm still going to make a lever, so this is perfect.

The pics are great, couldn't be better. Thank you very much!

JST

Diamond
And, I put the pics to use today. Thanks again.

I think I will shorten the lever, the one Levin supplies is a bit shorter, and keeps fingers farther from the belt, minimizing "surprises" when drilling. Ball knob will be ordered tomorrow.

xlWX0SQ.jpg

LAllEns.jpg

L Vanice

Diamond
As I mentioned, Levin used a few of their lathe parts on their drill. I never was able to buy a Levin drill, but I have a Sigourney 1/4" size sensitive drill, which is plenty good enough for little holes.

As it happens, G. Boley in Germany also made a sensitive drill and I own one. They used their WW lathe bed and lever feed collet-holding tailstock and only changed the WW headstock by using a two-step pulley. The belt and base arrangement is quite similar to the Levin drill. I have never cleaned my Boley drill, so it is grungy looking. The tailstock is clean because the drill had a Derbyshire tailstock on it when I bought it. It has an old Westinghouse motor with external wire terminals.

Larry

DSC02862 (2).jpg

JST

Diamond
That sensitive drill is quite a "construction". And is indeed rather close in principle to the Levin, actually.

Greg Menke

Diamond
I have the smaller Hamilton sensitive drill equivalent, same kind of belt system, but it has a quill feed, up to 1/4" drills. The round table clamps to the column, so can raise/lower, adjust around the column but not swivel. I put a lot of stuff on it, a very handy tool well worth the valuable bench space. I have a toolmakers vise, bench block and a couple old bearing races handy for workholding- small c-clamps work pretty well for the kinds of jobs suited to the machine. lol I keep wanting to put bigger drills in it. With the spindle freewheeling and a gentle hand to back up the feed it does a reasonable job tapping.

I like the base on yours better- mine is flat on top OTOH has an integral switch and factory mounted motor.

Screwmachine

Titanium
I had the smallest Hamilton as well, great machine. It's featured in the book the Levins put out Practical Benchwork for Horologists. Sold it to a friend when I moved here, still miss it. I put an Albrecht on it, drill 0.10mm holes no problemo. (The ancient Jacobs it came with was actually as good as the Albrecht).

JST

Diamond
The Levin spindle is essentially identical to the spindle from their milling head. It has occurred to me to put an x-y slide on it and it would become a micro-mill.

I have a slide rest for the Boley lathe that could be adapted with a "shoe" to sit on the Levin table.... With a vertical feed lock, it ought to work well.