What's new
What's new

I got fired, the slacker got me

A followup to losing my job and finding a new one. The job I lost involved lots of travel that took me away from home. I have one daughter and a grandson that just turned 16 and his sperm donor has chosen not to be around this wonderful kid.

So I just got him a summer intern job as my assistant building automation for manufacturing water heating solar collectors. He got his permit and will be driving me to work 3 days a week (got him a chauffers cap). The other 2 days he is taking college courses in chemistry and statics! He has already completed all his courses for his senior year so is working on completing his first 2 years of college before graduating high school with a 3.94 gpa!

Not working 60 hours a week or traveling has given me the energy and a helper to get my 26’ sailboat back together after 10 years on the hard.

So not too bad.

Sounds good....but I'm trying to connect the dots...you went from being fired to making so much money you can afford a chauffeur and playing with a 26' sailboat?

A followup to losing my job and finding a new one. The job I lost involved lots of travel that took me away from home. I have one daughter and a grandson that just turned 16 and his sperm donor has chosen not to be around this wonderful kid.

So I just got him a summer intern job as my assistant building automation for manufacturing water heating solar collectors. He got his permit and will be driving me to work 3 days a week (got him a chauffers cap). The other 2 days he is taking college courses in chemistry and statics! He has already completed all his courses for his senior year so is working on completing his first 2 years of college before graduating high school with a 3.94 gpa!

Not working 60 hours a week or traveling has given me the energy and a helper to get my 26’ sailboat back together after 10 years on the hard.

So not too bad.

Great to hear about an ambitious teenager on a path to success, instead of one looking forward to spending all summer playing video games.

Sounds good....but I'm trying to connect the dots...you went from being fired to making so much money you can afford a chauffeur and playing with a 26' sailboat?

I believe the "Chauffer" has had 16 years of prepayment.....:D

A followup to losing my job and finding a new one.

We TOLD you to stop being a whiney self-centered drama-queen and man-up!

Wasn't so hard after all, was it?

Shudda done it SOONER!

Now.. quit while you are ahead. Do the job rather than dramatizing the job.

Take that other whiney, self-centered "I got fired, the slacker got me" drama-queen with you. Bolton-something-or-other?

Folks got better shit to do.

:(

This thread reminds me of advice I've often given myself but never followed (To my own hurt). My own reason for a log is that I sometimes order material and forget to add a PO or customer name or job, really dumb of course.
But with this kind of thing I wonder if a guy Kept a daily log TO HIMSELF as if no one else would ever read it, note every screw up, even my own. Record every time someone else has acted dishonestly, or taken extra undeserved breaks. Then if some jerk kept screwing me over just casually mention the journal in his hearing,,if he's smart but just morally compromised he might pick on someone else.
I don't think I've ever seen being a 'tattle-tale' work as an adult. If you were my report, got your butt in a pickle and tried to worm your way out with 'Well ya, but so-and-so did this!" there would be absolutely no saving of your job.

At that point you're either complicit or incompetent and no good employer has room for either.

Businesses are successful until they fail, and they generally fail because too many arrogant fools are running things, and getting rid of the guys who actually do most of the good work. I got fired from a 5-man partnership many years ago, and although I felt depressed and down for awhile, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. After I left, the partnership struggled on for a few years, before self-destructing, but I opened my own place and got developed some excellent new accounts and never looked back.

People in all departments seem to be unhappy, and feel the company doesn't give a toss about them. Lazy, sneaky, political snakes do well, while keen hard workers seem to get used and get more load put on them.
If your soul and self-worth means anything to you, the only answer may be to go somewhere you feel you belong, even if the money, etc is less. You just can't make a wrong place right, you gotta go to a right place.

Sounds just like every place I've ever worked at for the last 35 years. And for well below a living wage. At least here in the states, bigger companies don't have to give a toss about workers, because they can just pull another guy in off the streets and after 6 months they taught him everything he knows. Even if he knows it already. Just so long as they don't actually have to pay any of the scum (as opposed to the arse-kissing political snakes, whom they love dearly and whom helped them build their company into the empire that they are...)

The term 'living wage' is tossed around so much that people accept it is a useful term. In fact, it's a bullshit term, pure and simple.

There are two reasons for that. First, it's a term that carries with it instant failure. It can only be used in negative light, to somehow give credence to the 'fact' that someone is screwing someone else when it comes to pay. For example, have you ever heard anyone say, "My company overpays me when all I really want is a living wage!"? Of course not.

Second, there is no measure of what is a 'living wage'. I'm amazed at how many people consider 'living' to include a 2 year old Tahoe rolling on 22's, the latest cell phone, lots of beer, cigs, cable TV, a 3/2 in the valley, and 20 restaurant meals per month. It's even worse when they include 'single mother' in the equation....as if some 19 year old who spread her legs should take home $75K/yr working the coke machine at Denny's. Maybe she shoulda found a husband first.

Third, (yes, there really are three, not just two reasons) no one ever said every job should pay a 'living wage'. Plenty of jobs pay enough for you to have beer and cigs and new Nikes while it's understood your aunt with the bad knee will keep a roof over your head and pay all the non-essentials like water, electric, and car insurance.

If I owned a company, the single biggest downside, by far, would be having to employ people and out up with all their stupid shit and complaining. I'm convinced the rise of machines and robots had nothing to do with saving money and everything to do with not having to deal with employees.

The term 'living wage' is tossed around so much that people accept it is a useful term. In fact, it's a bullshit term, pure and simple.

There are two reasons for that. First, it's a term that carries with it instant failure. It can only be used in negative light, to somehow give credence to the 'fact' that someone is screwing someone else when it comes to pay. For example, have you ever heard anyone say, "My company overpays me when all I really want is a living wage!"? Of course not.

Second, there is no measure of what is a 'living wage'. I'm amazed at how many people consider 'living' to include a 2 year old Tahoe rolling on 22's, the latest cell phone, lots of beer, cigs, cable TV, a 3/2 in the valley, and 20 restaurant meals per month. It's even worse when they include 'single mother' in the equation....as if some 19 year old who spread her legs should take home $75K/yr working the coke machine at Denny's. Maybe she shoulda found a husband first.

Third, (yes, there really are three, not just two reasons) no one ever said every job should pay a 'living wage'. Plenty of jobs pay enough for you to have beer and cigs and new Nikes while it's understood your aunt with the bad knee will keep a roof over your head and pay all the non-essentials like water, electric, and car insurance.

If I owned a company, the single biggest downside, by far, would be having to employ people and out up with all their stupid shit and complaining. I'm convinced the rise of machines and robots had nothing to do with saving money and everything to do with not having to deal with employees.

By the same token, there's plenty more that don't cover rent, a 10 yr old S-10, insurance, and no beer. In fact, jobs like that are in the majority, not the minority. My experience is that management has NO idea what the actual cost of living is, because they've never had to worry about it. 2nd generation millionaires. I decided to leave the trade altogether after the last place wanted me to TIG Inconel pipe for a critical application... for 15 an hour. The proper answer to that is "FUCK you".

In other words, not even covering the basics.

My experience is that management has NO idea what the actual cost of living is, because they've never had to worry about it.

Someone has to break the news to you, cupcake. Why NOT a shop-floor to Chairman guy with 50 years on that journey, end of it now ten years in the rear-view?

"Management" knows more about those costs, including area-specific and trade-specific demographics than you could even understand the "WHY" of our keeping up-to-date not less than 13 times each year, EVERY year.

That high level of CURRENT expertise is a MAJOR part of our job.

It has to be gotten very, very "right" then KEPT that way .. for a(ny) organization to be able to attract, select, employ, improve, and RETAIN at favourable turnover, healthcare, lost-time, replacement, and training costs ... for our single most crucial resource.

Our arsenal. Our weapons system. As we wage the commercial equivalent of a war .. to the survival or DEATH of our company, its future, and the future of all-hands associated with that entity.

"Overly dramatic?" Pilgrim, new companies are born and others "die" every hour of the day. The shellfire was competition from OTHER companies. The blood is money lost, or never gained, The wounded are the jobs gone - the struggle for the injured to recover to full economic health again.

That "weapon" of economic warfare?

People. Damned good PEOPLE! The BEST people. The VERY best .. that we can attract, satisfy, keep... and improve.

Getting it right is what they pay us for. Fail and go hungry.

Getting it right first time, every time, all the time, is how we get to keep a job as "Manager", learn, grow, do it again, better, faster, and at a higher level.

That you seem to have never - even ONCE - "found" such an employer?

Of which there are many?

Because this - good people - is what it takes to "win"?

And that winners survive longest, grow largest, and include more OF those "good people" than the LOSERS do?

Ask yourself:

"Just why IS it... that I have never discovered a "winner" for myself to team with?"

And then..

"IF ... all the experience I have ever had was with exposure to the "losers?"

Why IS that?

And what TF can I do ABOUT it NOW... and going forward.

Whine at will, now..... throw a hissy fit, even.. about how harsh and unfair I have been. Other snowflakes will assuredly join you in that.

But you just.. do not... "get it"..

So... you failed MY selection screening early-on.

I didn't bring "marginals" with attitudes into the same entity and under the same roof. That would have been an insult to my highly valued winners.

It would have been unfair to THEM.

And ultimately? Professionally FATAL to me...

It was never allowed to become either of those.

And I very, very rarely had to "fire" anyone.

I had made it a POINT .. to find "winners" Learn, grow, help make them better winners.

Late 1973 I even asked an employer for a pay rise.

Once. The ONLY time in fifty years.

Didn't feel good about having to ask. So I went to a new company.

Not the last one. But I never HAD to "ask" again.

I had made it a point to only work for winners, y'see.

Disclosure time: Not many of them WERE "winners"...when first I walked in the door.

My job, after all... was to make it so!
Same as your job.

And that... is the biggest thing you missed... teamwork.

Not that you have any sort of "patent" on that, more's the pity...

Last edited:
It was a reflection on your previous post, that it seems apparent that many on this forum have never signed a time-card but their own.

Aye.

Meeting the payroll backing up that timecard sometimes meant "the boss" went short rations.. Damned short - so his valuable team did not. BFD. So yah learn to plan better and work harder.

But WTF. Money is just an accidental byproduct of friction between the electrons running social disease networks, and unused drug dust and fumes, ain't it?

:(

Not as if anybody had to produce and sell actual goods and services other folk were willing to work for and afford .. then try to get PAID for what yah DONE, is it?

Damndest thing is... one "Day Job" we had a ton of min-wage temps, part-year. Seasonal thing.

We never had the LEAST problem finding 100% 'ers who UNDERSTOOD the value of being a player on a winning team.

And that such an experience was a MAJOR part to getting on in life in general.

Mind. .we didn't hire folk who thought they were just a flat-price, tick-the-box, passive, Grade 8 bolt. with an "entitlement" attitude.

"Got" hired?
'
"Got" fired?

Musta missed a lot in life. No experience with either one of those!

"Got" f**ked?

Not that, either. Plenty of good sex, but that ain't the same thing!

:D

Been privileged to have teamed and worked with a great many lovely people instead, though!

I'm good wit' dat'

:D

Damndest thing is... one "Day Job" we had a ton of min-wage temp, part-year. Seasonal thing.

We never had the LEAST probem finding 100% who UNDERSTOOD the value of beign a player on a winning team.

And that such an experience was a MAJOR part to getting on in life in general.

Does this involve "KennyWood" ?....:D

If I owned a company, the single biggest downside, by far, would be having to employ people and out up with all their stupid shit and complaining. .,,,.

There is a lot of that and makes you want to pull your hair out and scream.
But is like a big family also, you love them and you hate them at the same time or day to day.
Every employee is a problem child at some point but they are "your" problem children.
People working for you are difficult, heartbreaking and painful often. At the same time they are so rewarding in so many non-money side aspects.
I am a automation nut and love to build it but some of the biggest pain employees will be appreciated long after the robot becomes scrap metal.

One has to "get" all their stupid shit and complaining. Where it comes from and why be it right or wrong.
It's not like a cnc program. People are complicated and confusing.
Been both big and small, union and not. Doing such and looking back I so much more love having many employees even with all the sleepless nights it brings.
Bob

This thread reminds me of advice I've often given myself but never followed (To my own hurt). My own reason for a log is that I sometimes order material and forget to add a PO or customer name or job, really dumb of course.
But with this kind of thing I wonder if a guy Kept a daily log TO HIMSELF as if no one else would ever read it, note every screw up, even my own. Record every time someone else has acted dishonestly, or taken extra undeserved breaks. Then if some jerk kept screwing me over just casually mention the journal in his hearing,,if he's smart but just morally compromised he might pick on someone else.

I doubt anyone would view the "log" as a serious unbiased account. I had a brother who actually did keep a personal log thinking he would eventually publish it and expose all those he saw as wrong doers. On his passing another brother found it in his personal effects and sent me a copy. I was shocked to say the least. I worked with him on many jobs, and actually employed him for a time. We worked the same shifts and had the same managers. Most days he was never out of sight and often worked less than 10' away.

His interpretation of the situation(s) was far different than mine. According to his log any time he was corrected he saw it as a demeaning insult. When he was given a different responsibility he saw it as mean spirited. He thought any one working harder than him was sucking up to the boss, and anyone not working as hard as a slacker or goof off. He always tried to manipulate people into "helping" him do his job, but was incensed if someone else asked him to help them.

In short his interpretation of everyday circumstances was far different than mine or any of the other people he was working with. Having been a party to many of the circumstances he described in detail in his log I had a hard time embracing his analysis. Having Been There Done That I'm not sure recording or publishing such an account would be beneficial for any other purpose than letting off steam.

I doubt anyone would view the "log" as a serious unbiased account. I had a brother who actually did keep a personal log thinking he would eventually publish it and expose all those he saw as wrong doers. On his passing another brother found it in his personal effects and sent me a copy. I was shocked to say the least. I worked with him on many jobs, and actually employed him for a time. We worked the same shifts and had the same managers. Most days he was never out of sight and often worked less than 10' away.

His interpretation of the situation(s) was far different than mine. According to his log any time he was corrected he saw it as a demeaning insult. When he was given a different responsibility he saw it as mean spirited. He thought any one working harder than him was sucking up to the boss, and anyone not working as hard as a slacker or goof off. He always tried to manipulate people into "helping" him do his job, but was incensed if someone else asked him to help them.

In short his interpretation of everyday circumstances was far different than mine or any of the other people he was working with. Having been a party to many of the circumstances he described in detail in his log I had a hard time embracing his analysis. Having Been There Done That I'm not sure recording or publishing such an account would be beneficial for any other purpose than letting off steam.
Sounds like he had an external locus of control.

Back