What's new
What's new

I just got a new machine in my garage. A 2023 DNM5700. I have some questions.

xnewmanx

Aluminum
Let me preface this by saying I have no training, but I currently own and operate a VF2 and a Lynx2100. I just bought this new DNM5700.

I've owned the Lynx (same controller as the 5700) for 2 years but I still suck at using the control.

I am fairly familiar with the Haas control, however I really only use it for 3 things.

A) Loading programs from a USB stick
B) Probing work offsets
C) Loading and unloading tools

I assume the loading programs will be similar to loading them on my lynx. Not too worried about that.

I sniffed around with the probing GUI and that seems pretty straightforward as well. A bit less pretty than the haas but, but still the same basic operations and parameters.

That brings me to C.

I'll describe the current haas workflow.

On my haas I have about 130 tools in my cam tool library. I have 130 tools and tool offsets saved in the haas control. I have 130 physical tools with holders either in the machine or on a rack. I have little tags on the tools and any tools in the machine I hang the tags on a hook on the machine.

Lets say I have tools T1-T30 in the machine. They will be jumbled into any old random pocket, so I won't mention pocket numbers again. Let's say my program calls for T99 and I don't need T1. (In the past I've already probed the tool and all the geometry/offset info is stored in the control) I'll call up T1 (MDI>"T1">ATC FWD). I take it out of the machine and put it on the rack with a little "001" tag. I'll grab tool 99 off the rack, hang the "099" tag on the hook on the machine and then put it into the spindle. Next, I'll go to CURRENT_COMMANDS > TOOLS > highlight the 1 next to "SPINDLE" > Change value to T99. Done.

Question 1: What does that workflow look like on the Fanuc control? I asked the guys I work with and they didn't even know there could be more tools than pockets, so that wasn't really any help.

Question 2: This question is less important, so if you're only going to answer one, please let it be the first one. For the sake of improving and moving forward, I was thinking about grouping certain tool numbers into certain ranges, for example T001-T050 would all be flat endmills. T51-T100 would all be corner radius endmills, T101-T110 are all spot drills. etc. When I look at my little hang-tag station on the machine, I could more easily identify what's in the machine. I could see if T101, T103 and T109 were all in the machine, I'd know there were 3 spot drills in the machine and could probably remove a couple of them. Is this a totally insane approach and do you see any major detractions?

Thanks in advance. Sorry I'm a clueless idiot.

-CTN

The fanuc control will work the same way as far as having more tool numbers than atc positions so that should be an easy transition. I just have a couple questions. How many tools does the DNM atc hold? Why 50 flat and bullnose endmills? I don't think I have ever reserved that many slots for one tool type even drills. I can understand standardizing your tools. That is a really good idea, and you should standardize as much as possible. I prefer 1/2 and 3/8 endmills whenever possible because they take less torque than larger endmills. So my basic endmills in my machine is 1/2 and 3/8 stub, long reach, both of those in flat, bullnose and ball nose in aluminum and steel grades. I generally don't need much else. This way I rarely have to change any tools unless it is a specialty tool for a particular job.

The fanuc control will work the same way as far as having more tool numbers than atc positions so that should be an easy transition. I just have a couple questions. How many tools does the DNM atc hold? Why 50 flat and bullnose endmills? I don't think I have ever reserved that many slots for one tool type even drills. I can understand standardizing your tools. That is a really good idea, and you should standardize as much as possible. I prefer 1/2 and 3/8 endmills whenever possible because they take less torque than larger endmills. So my basic endmills in my machine is 1/2 and 3/8 stub, long reach, both of those in flat, bullnose and ball nose in aluminum and steel grades. I generally don't need much else. This way I rarely have to change any tools unless it is a specialty tool for a particular job.
Thanks for replying. I agree I don’t think I will ever need 50, but I was trying to break it up in a way that I’d never have to have a number that was out of the group. I went through the tools I have used so far and basically multiplied the number of them time 5 or so. That way I’m a bit future proofed.

@xnewmanx
Former DN employee here. I have quite a bit of training literature I wrote when I worked for them. All free if you'd like.
It's not that hard at all.
We can take it one step at a time.
I'd LOVE any and all info.

my email is ctnewman at gmail dot com.

I played around with it on lunch and see how to easily change tools (in renishaw GUI) and also how to change the tool number in the spindle (in the tool manager page)

I feel a little bit more confident now. If I go to the tool manager and look at the tool pocket table, I see a name column. Can't seem to add a name, though. Where is that done?

worthless.gif

-------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

I'd LOVE any and all info.

my email is ctnewman at gmail dot com.

I played around with it on lunch and see how to easily change tools (in renishaw GUI) and also how to change the tool number in the spindle (in the tool manager page)

I feel a little bit more confident now. If I go to the tool manager and look at the tool pocket table, I see a name column. Can't seem to add a name, though. Where is that done?
It's done through the Tool Management page.
I'll post some pics later today.

It's done through the Tool Management page.
I'll post some pics later today.
Fanuc, in their infinite wisdom, has made this way more difficult than it needs to be. First, Tool Management needs to be turned on. If you go to Tool Management, you will notice in the upper left of the screen, it will tell you if TM is on or not. I believe the machines ship with it off. Hit the E-Stop and be in MDI mode. If you press the EDIT button in the lower row of soft keys you should find a TM on button. Press that. It will ask you to confirm by pressing "Y". Now TM is on and more buttons become available in the different pages. You will now need to navigate until you find the REGISTER button. Press that and there will be a buttom labelled "REG". Press that, now you can name tools. But naming tools does nothing but name tools, you cannot call tools with the name. So, there's that.
If you have a group of tools that you use all the time, you can output that group to a file and import it again later. You can then have a number of groups saved and you can import and export them as you need them. You will need to experiment until you find a method you are comfortable with. I am not sure that this has ever been documented in detail by us, DN Solutions, or by Fanuc. You can check the Fanuc yellow books. Those ship now on a USB stick which will be in the yellow box shipped with the machine.
You can take Douglas up on his offer for documentation. I am not sure exactly what he has. Or, you can contact me at [email protected] if you have specific questions. Or, you can contact your dealer. I am certainly willing to help.

Fanuc, in their infinite wisdom, has made this way more difficult than it needs to be. First, Tool Management needs to be turned on. If you go to Tool Management, you will notice in the upper left of the screen, it will tell you if TM is on or not. I believe the machines ship with it off. Hit the E-Stop and be in MDI mode. If you press the EDIT button in the lower row of soft keys you should find a TM on button. Press that. It will ask you to confirm by pressing "Y". Now TM is on and more buttons become available in the different pages. You will now need to navigate until you find the REGISTER button. Press that and there will be a buttom labelled "REG". Press that, now you can name tools. But naming tools does nothing but name tools, you cannot call tools with the name. So, there's that.
If you have a group of tools that you use all the time, you can output that group to a file and import it again later. You can then have a number of groups saved and you can import and export them as you need them. You will need to experiment until you find a method you are comfortable with. I am not sure that this has ever been documented in detail by us, DN Solutions, or by Fanuc. You can check the Fanuc yellow books. Those ship now on a USB stick which will be in the yellow box shipped with the machine.
You can take Douglas up on his offer for documentation. I am not sure exactly what he has. Or, you can contact me at [email protected] if you have specific questions. Or, you can contact your dealer. I am certainly willing to help.
Thank you! Got your email too. Will dig in.

Correct on all counts!

Back