What's new
What's new

I keep hearing that this winter will be bad for manufacturing in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: historically high rental costs and housing instability,

The grubberment causes inflation and then/now wants to regulate rent, likely eliminating low-cost rent will put more people in tents.

At least the illegals are getting free room and likely free food... on my tax bill.

Last edited:
That sounds like a neat idea, does it work well?

This one looks awesome, no lights at all:
View attachment 385021
There is a very similar interchange just south of Seattle, where Interstate 5 meets the 405 ring road around Seattle. Its even more complicated, because it has HOV lanes as well as regular lanes, and both types have their own feeders.
Its been operating for something like 20 years now, and its the main north south Interstate for the entire West Coast.
This is not rocket science. People navigate it every day, by the tens of thousands, without any more accidents than any other stretch of freeway around Seattle. There are signs, of course, telling you which lane to be in.
The idea that aerial views are how we decide what to build is kind of silly- actual traffic engineers study this stuff, and build it, and monitor its use. The one in Seattle has worked, as designed, for a long long time.

Attachments

• tukwilainterchange copy.jpg
    tukwilainterchange copy.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 8
Not sure how we got to this subject, but the one thing that I find way more cornfusing than roundabouts - is the new overpasses that they have been puting in _ in recent years. But when you have to cross the bridge on the LEFT side, that makes yuh go WHAT?

------------------

Roundabout
Ox
Hmm, like a rotary no left turns but only one bridge. I drive through 1 or 2 rotaries every day. They work great most of the time. My opinion they make the entrances too easy to ignore rotary traffic. I drive through with my thumb over the horn button. When I still had my truck nothing like the look on the face of an oblivious driver when I am bearing down on them and all they see is grill and the horn blowing. Not saying they won't do that again, but they will remember that day, if only form the aroma of the upholstery

The grubberment causes inflation and then/now wants to regulate rent, likely eliminating low-cost rent will put more people in tents.

At least the illegals are getting free room and likely free food... on my tax bill.
yawn
you pay taxes, hah
I find that people who actually pay taxes are a lot less worried about what their taxes are doing.
Yes the government raised all the prices, I remember them passing that law.....

yawn
you pay taxes, hah
I find that people who actually pay taxes are a lot less worried about what their taxes are doing.
Yes the government raised all the prices, I remember them passing that law.....

I pay extortion. They can call it whatever they like.

No one pays because of the benefits. We pay because if we don't, something very bad will happen to you.

I now remember I started driving an old traffic circle as soon as I started driving. been there since 1930 or older. Easy to figure out everyone took turns etc.
I only read traffic laws about circles when my nephew moved to new Zealand and i looked up if they drove on the left. They do. For some reason my search turned up NZ traffic circle laws and they do require you to yield.
Bill D

I wish I had something interesting to say about round-a-bouts.
This is the level of change which never quite rises to me having an opinion about it.
I guess I assume that it’s not a fad but the product of advances in design engineering for traffic flow in our increasingly gridlocked cities and their increasingly continuous connections with the next town over.

In other words the problem at hand boggles the mind.
That appreciation for how tough the problem is damps down my off the cuff assessments (opinions)…

I did find out recently (no one tells me anything) that Paris was razed in the early 1800’s to replace the old happenstance affair with a planned layout.
I am betting there are roundabouts all over the place..

Last edited:
:
"At least the illegals are getting free room and likely free food... on my tax bill."

SOMEBODY's gonna be getting free room and board here:

Maybe more than one criminal....

They say the below to the public but what they are likely to do is try to make their reputation look good. Just like dirty cops are often asked to leave rather than go to prison.

QT the article: The FBI will go to great lengths to investigate and hold accountable anyone who violates the law, including when the individual is an FBI employee. We hold ourselves to the highest standard, and our focus will remain on our mission and on doing the right thing, in the right way, every time."

"The FBI will go to great lengths to investigate and hold accountable anyone who violates the law,"

Except the president. And if somebody named mcgonigle is running the office, they can charge anyoen with anything. As mentioned, that man's gonna go to jail soon.

The government doesn't cause inflation. The Federal Reserve does. Yes the government deficit spends but its the Fed that's doing the money "printing" and the Fed is a private entity and sets monetary policy on behalf of the government. I think that is an important distinction a lot of people forget.

Back on topic, how is manufacturing this winter going in Europe? I'm still getting started in the machine shop world so I can't add much to what's going on in the US regarding manufacturing other than any other consumer that's paying attention already knows: housing prices have plateaued, there is still a worker shortage but people don't want to work, some things are still in short supply or back ordered, eggs prices are sky high, construction lumber has come down to pre 2020 levels, copper wire is still sky high, diesel has come down some, inflation doesn't seem to be slowing anytime soon, and the Fed is hiking rates. I expect the bubble is going to pop again....

USA and German tanks going to Ukraine.
Keep your fingers crossed that we don't end up in a big war.
Sure we can take/beat Russia..but likely I will be dead when it's over.
Likely the U.S. tanks/armor/support is already in Poland and ready to go.
A day or so ago a German Foreign Minister stated Germany/NATO is already at war with Russia.
So I guess maybe NATO can dust off the old Gleiwitz false flag incident and claim an attack on a NATO member----And off we go.

Anyway---Some big bucks being made all over the place in war related manufacturing not to mention construction work rebuilding Ukraine someday when this is all over with.

QT: Anyway---Some big bucks being made all over the place in war-related manufacturing not to mention construction work rebuilding Ukraine someday when this is all over with.

not to mention construction work rebuilding the USA and Russia and perhaps Germany.

Russia / USA would start with Blitzkrieg (Lightning War)
The war would last about 3 days and be over, with a big/huge mess on both sides..

China might be unscathed so would get the repair work..if anything worth repairing.

Darn.I hope it doesn't happen before our fishing trip to Blind River Ontario on about March 9 th....and hope we have good ice. looks like 4" to 8" (not very good) but wait is that 4-8 CM (most likely because it is in an Ontario map) then we will be in the drink. not enough\ ice for a sled, not open water for a boat..and no roads to the camp.

Last edited:
Likely the U.S. tanks/armor/support is already in Poland and ready to go.

Maybe, maybe not, but it isn't going to be like instant coffee no matter what.
Unless this was already decided way in advance and prepared already, training the crew is going to take a month or so at the very least.
OTOH, if it WAS decided long ago and the crew is all ready to go, then perhaps it can be a surprise.
Though not huge numbers, but if all the supplied Abrams, Leopards and Challengers get deployed in the same theatre at once right away instead of only after the expected training period ...

As an introduction:

Having been involved in shops all my life I have long kept something of a weather eye out to the competition in the marketplace.
Being a curious sort I look outside of my ken as I take that view- the long thrust of history if you will.
So with the crisis in Ukraine has illustrated there are large forces shaping the prospects of regions as they seek to establish and maintain participation in that manufacturing marketplace.

So something has been resting less than well with me.
It is the not too subtle sorting of nations/regions towards that crisis.
Brinkmanship has its distractors but... Russian leadership is not wrong in its assessments and petitions towards a changing world which will shape the manufacturing centers for decades to come. ( I am being charitable here with language).
The term "Global South" comes into play.

So.....

I was watching the excellent movie RRR and couldn't avoid the themes which are present to this day of those changes.
A quick look about and I see I am not alone in wondering at this.
The 'Great Game' has burst its borders so to speak..

A shot across the bow?
In the least case competition in the marketplace will have an entirely different texture as time passes.
But this also evokes for me a specter of the next world war having far exceeded the familiar "European troubles" format we have all come to love.

I suppose I will lay on a cliche here.
The US (West..) is still "fighting the last war" in its approach to Ukraine?
Again- for all his distractors Russia appears to be fighting the next..
I would really really not wish to be a foreign policy advisor to the president at times such as these.

Last edited:
As an introduction:

Having been involved in shops all my life I have long kept something of a weather eye out to the competition in the marketplace.
Being a curious sort I look outside of my ken as I take that view- the long thrust of history if you will.
So with the crisis in Ukraine has illustrated there are large forces shaping the prospects of regions as they seek to establish and maintain participation in that manufacturing marketplace.

So something has been resting less than well with me.
It is the not too subtle sorting of nations/regions towards that crisis.
Brinkmanship has its distractors but... Russian leadership is not wrong in its assessments and petitions towards a changing world which will shape the manufacturing centers for decades to come. ( I am being charitable here with language).
The term "Global South" comes into play.

So.....

I was watching the excellent movie RRR and couldn't avoid the themes which are present to this day of those changes.
A quick look about and I see I am not alone in wondering at this.
The 'Great Game' has burst its borders so to speak..

A shot across the bow?
In the least case competition in the marketplace will have an entirely different texture as time passes.
But this also evokes for me a specter of the next world war having far exceeded the familiar "European troubles" format we have all come to love.

I suppose I will lay on a cliche here.
The US (West..) is still "fighting the last war" in its approach to Ukraine?
Again- for all his distractors Russia appears to be fighting the next..
I would really really not wish to be a foreign policy advisor to the president at times such as these.
Foreign policy advisor(s) to the President......
Victoria Nuland Anthony Blinken.
Look at thier bios ( family. politics. corporate ties.)

The upside is LOTS of jobs and money to be made.
Am sure there us a chart someplace.

I would! Advising to stay out of a war is preferable to me! Not that Russia is the good guy here but NATO hasn't stopped expanding east and the west was stockpiling weapons in the region leading up to this. It's not as if Russia's aggression was unprovoked.

I'm sure all this will be good business for some. I heard an add on the radio this week about a hiring expo Raytheon is having. But to be honest I'm not sure if I want anything to do with making things just so our boys can go kill peoples other peoples boys over dirt that that shouldn't matter to us. I was over in Afgahnistan working a job and basically a lot of what I did was supporting troops not getting killed by IEDs. In summary our boys drove around looking for IEDs. IEDs were only there because our boys were driving around. 20 years of bloodshed to go from Taliban control back to Taliban control but now with a bunch of US equipment. I'm sure this current debacle won't be much better and I don't want a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back