What's new
What's new

I need help. I never heard of this even being POSSIBLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Maboff

Plastic
I bought a no name chinese minilathe off EBay a year ago, never got around to setting it up until recently. with a live center in the tailstock and another one in the headstock chuck, the tailstock one is about 3/16" higher than the one in the headstock! I got another tailstock from little machineshop. it lacks the removable base plate of the original and is just as much too high! so I GUESS that I have to have a local shop mill the 3/16" off of the underside of the baseplate, (to include deepening the v-notch that fits one of the lathe ways.

Assuming that is what has to be done, how do I go about getting a precise measurement. ? I ASSUME that I"m better off machining off a bit too much (and needing to shim it up) than to cut off too little and have to machine it AGAIN. Am I correct in that assumption? Thanks guys.

I guess I'l have to use my machinit's level and some flat pieces, like files, to get the measurements?

as politely as I can word this, shove your "advice" where your head is.

Harry?

Precision 2MT Shank Taper Turning Attachment for Lathe Tailstock (U) - - Amazon.com

Turn it 90-degress.. from horizontal to vertical. 3/16" is not hard.

Move it a skosh OFF either vertical or horizontal and you can also correct for lateral mis-alignment as well. Or both. Same go.

A person can MAKE these cheaply. Articles are all over the 'net.

You did not have to post on ANY forum to find the guidance.
All you had to do was search. And read.
No one would even have known you were "there".
Or even existed.

Wouldn't that be far the more welcome gift to mankind than picking a fight?
Cheap, too!

And nobody would have branded you an Oxygen Thief, either.
"DAMHIKT"

Meanwhile, ain't it a blessing you are not "the one".... to pick out your own tires, shoes, socks, hats, ... undershorts.... condoms.... preparation "H" suppositories... vibrators...

I mean .. if the very concept of "size" or measuring for stuff that "fits" can be such pain in the ass? Why wuddja wanna be bothered?

LOL!

Geez, a ChiCom made machine tool that is not directly interchangeable with a different ChiCom machine tool! Color me surprised.

Yeah, you need to either cut off the tall end, or shore up the short end, if you want happiness. And Noodles! Maybe extra noodles!

You need to understand that even with all matching parts from the same factory, those are pre-assembled kits of not very well made parts. You are lucky if the parts from a different factory used the same (more or less) drawings, let along that the parts might fit!

If 3/16, aka: 5mm is all you have to worry about, you don't have serious worries! It can be done, but it's gonna be a lot tougher row to hoe than if you bought a decent lathe to begin with!

LOL!

Geez, a ChiCom made machine tool that is not directly interchangeable with a different ChiCom machine tool! Color me surprised.

Yeah, you need to either cut off the tall end, or shore up the short end, if you want happiness. And Noodles! Maybe extra noodles!
"Dirty little secrets" category.. .. Brother and I aside? My whole surviving family are Hong Kong Chinese.

And WE buy Korean noodles. Or Italian or US made. Or make our own. From scratch.

Not store-bought Chinese noodles!

Quality thing.

It's all about value-for-money. And.. ta da.. "good taste".

:)

You either didn't read the rules that are clearly posted or purposely ignored them. Now your panties are in a twist because you didn't like some of the well deserved posts? You could learn a hell of a lot here, you won't because doing so might take thicker than parchment paper skin and an open mind.

I bought a no name chinese minilathe off EBay a year ago,

There's all KINDS of things wrong with what you just said.

Give him credit for honesty. I mean, remember the first time you fessed up?

"I drank out of the toilet as a child."

Mind.. it WOULD be wise you give it up as an ADULT, but still... that's still in a future not assured..

I am perhaps a bit more tolerant than some of the guys here on the subject of following the board's rules. I do try to follow them myself, but I try to, at least steer the new guys in the right direction. So, yes this board is intended for professionals and their questions and the discussion of hobby style equipment and it's problems is not encouraged or tolerated. There are a number of boards for such discussions and you will be welcomed there. And many of the members here are also on some of those, less professional boards. So the help you will get there will be no less valuable or accurate. The needs of professionals are different from those of hobbyists and dare I say, that in some cases' it will be more so. One that I recommend is:

General -

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

As for your lathe, there are two approaches that I can see. The first is to reduce the height of the tail stock as has been suggested. The other is to use some shims to increase the height of the head stock. I am not very familiar with the details of those two components of the mini lathes so I can go no further with those two ideas. I do know that there are other situations where the head stock of a lathe has been increased by using a riser block. This has the advantage of increasing the swing so larger parts can be machined.

But you ask about how to measure the difference. I am sure there is more than one way. One that I may suggest that would not require more than simple measurement tools would be to remove the compound from the cross slide and use the top of the cross slide as a base for the measurements. Move it under the headstock spindle and then use a caliper to measure from the top of the cross slide to the bottom of the spindle. Then, measure from there to the top of the spindle. Add the two numbers and divide by two to get the height of the center of the HS spindle from the top of the cross slide.

Now move the tail stock over the cross slide and lock the tail stock and it's quill to prevent movement. Do the same two measurements on the tail stock quill and add them and divide by two.

The difference in the two measurements is the difference in the two heights.

Vernier, dial, and digital calipers all should be capable of making these measurements. A spacer block of known dimension may make the inside measure easier: A set of imported 1-2-3 blocks are inexpensive and have a lot of uses in the shop. Whatever you use, do check the actual dimension.

As to weather it is best to take off too little or too much depends a lot on just how you would resolve the remaining amounts and how accurate you will want the final result to be. A good shop should be able to keep the new surfaces parallel to the original ones to well under a thousandth. I doubt that the original accuracy of those surfaces were done to that level.

I bought a no name chinese minilathe off EBay a year ago, never got around to setting it up until recently. with a live center in the tailstock and another one in the headstock chuck, the tailstock one is about 3/16" higher than the one in the headstock! I got another tailstock from little machineshop. it lacks the removable base plate of the original and is just as much too high! so I GUESS that I have to have a local shop mill the 3/16" off of the underside of the baseplate, (to include deepening the v-notch that fits one of the lathe ways.

Assuming that is what has to be done, how do I go about getting a precise measurement. ? I ASSUME that I"m better off machining off a bit too much (and needing to shim it up) than to cut off too little and have to machine it AGAIN. Am I correct in that assumption? Thanks guys.

I guess I'l have to use my machinit's level and some flat pieces, like files, to get the measurements?

I am perhaps a bit more tolerant

It isn't about "tolerant".

It is about appropriate and efficient.

Person has a flat tire? He should see a tire shop.'

Not an aircaft turbine rebuilder, house painter, nor a beauty parlour..

He'll get BETTER guidance over in a Hobby venue because those venues are where the other folk who have the same items and the same problems ARE.

Your links are good for that. Let him aim his browser over there, click, and make use of them "at once".

Not as if he had to pack instant-noodle rations for a month and walk the whole distance in rubber flip-flops.

With a dog-leash.

Dragging that POS LSO behind him.

On a disintegrating Harbor-Freight furniture dolly.

With rustid-bustid recycled soy-oil shod caster wheels

...is it?

We can only WISH for that sort of justice.

Being "tolerant", OTOH?

We do not insist on it!

Mixed blessing, DEROS was.

- Nice to be back safeside.

OTOH?

- I could no longer call in air-strikes.

Bummer!

:)

as politely as I can word this, shove your "advice" where your head is.

based on your other thread....I really think it's not "all of us".... rather it's simply YOU.

Your attitude is pretty much all confrontational, what did you doo before retirement ?

WTF d'you mean "retirement?"

If they have a started awarding pensions for "over-age-in-grade arsehole without portfolio"?

I've been freakin' SWINDLED!

:D

I can only go with what I see....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-10 071501.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-10 071501.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 65
I can only go with what I see....

"Survivalism" part is surely optimistic, he drags a Chicom LSO off the trash-midden over at ePrey inta PM's free-fire four-deuce range after composting it for an extra year.

Wudda thot a "gunsmith" could tell the diffrence between a lathe and a Cast-Iron sash-weight on LSD, too!

Outdoor sports could fit?

LSO like that is an apt companion to go fission with. Could easily cut yer travel time and expense exactly in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back