What's new
What's new

I picked up a Deckel GK 21

D Wolfe

Plastic
I purchased this panto recently to pull double duty as a manual mill and a quick way to copy broken parts. I help run a Maker space which is just a community workshop that people can become a member of to work on projects. I hope to group this with our 3d Printer and vacuum former to go from print, to prototype, to part, to product. I did happen to get a full set of English manuals with the machine, the technical bulletins, and parts lists. It came with a almost complete set of collets (Need the 3/8", though have some repeats) and replacement belts. I would like to know what the (german manual) formplattenhalter is? My machine is missing this and I fear I need it for rigid milling. I do have the table fastening block but do not have the ground spacer used to lock the head at zero (I can make one at work if someone is willing to give me the OAL). The seller also has a Deckel G1 L (with a ton of accessories) and a Gorton P2-2 that is well worn, shares accessories with the G1 and has a head spacer. Would these be worth picking up? I dont see a way to lock these machines for rigid milling, can it be done easily? Has anyone done a head swap on these with success? Also is there a drop in kit for the Deckel GK21 to have Z travel on the spindle for drilling holes besides moving the table up and down? Sorry for the million questions, New to panto"mills". I will post pictures here next week sometime. Thanks.

sfriedberg

Diamond
I would like to know what the (german manual) formplattenhalter is?
My gut reaction was "pattern table lock", but fortunately a dictionary gave me a clue. :) This is either "type holder" or "pattern table bracket", and yes, those are two very different things. In the foundry context, "formplatten" is "match plate". It's also used for those fancy swoopy modernist architectural "art" details fabricated from sheet metal. I'm very interested in how a native German- & Deckel-speaker translates it in this context!

I almost bought a GK12 a couple of weeks ago. Cute little machines.

ttok

Cast Iron
D Wolf -

The formplattenhalter is a form holder for a "form piece" with either a spherical or cylindrical depression in it. The form holder has a T-slot in it and bolts to the top of the machine with (2) T-bolts. You bolt the form piece in the depression on the underside of the form holder. After unscrewing the small top "can" on the top of the spindle, you will see a conical "point" pointing upwards on the top of the spindle. This "point" rides in the spherical or cylindrical depression in the form piece.

Lets say you want to engrave something on a spherical object. You secure the object to the work table, then make a form piece with a spherical depression in it with the same radius as the object. Then you bolt this form piece to the form holder (formplattenhalter) and set the machine so that the point on top of the spindle rides on the surface in the underside of the form piece.

If the form piece has a spherical depression in it, you can engrave a spherical object on the work table, with the spindle being constrained to a spherical surface on the form piece. If the object is conical, you make a conical depression in the form piece, etc. This is a way to engrave small areas of odd shaped pieces, etc.

The formplattenhalter is not necessary for other ordinary milling/engraving operations on the machine.

For belts and other parts for the GK-21, Artco has a good assortment. Search this section of PM for more information.

A.T.

D Wolfe

Plastic
Thank you ttok, it would be nice to have, but is not required. The machine did come with the tooling square. Does anyone have the OAL measurement of the spacer for locking the spindle plane at 0*? Would the Deckel G1L be worth picking up? I already have a dedicated table top pantograph, Would love to turn it into a small mill.

Roy E. B.

Plastic
I maybe able to help you with the measurements. I have the later model GK 21. Give me a call to discuss measurements.
Roy 248 855-2618

D Wolfe

Plastic
Roy, I'll try and get with you tomorrow, Thanks for the help. Does anyone have a spare 3/8" collet they would be willing to trade for another sized one? I have two sets that are both missing the .375". I also had to remove the head of the machine to get it into our machine room. I shot a video of safe removal of the head and spring tension unit, and re assembly with some hard learned tips. Once I edit the video I'll post a link up. Also is there a serial number list I can add to or approximate the age of this machine?