What's new
What's new

I ran out of bar oil.. Is it OK to use way oil in my machine?

With the volume of oil that most bar oilers put out you could probably use just about anything. At least on the saws I've used the bars are always pretty wet. I use Stihl bar and chain oil mainly because it sticks to the bar and doesn't seem to fling off as easily as motor oil.

As for the guy who stole the lettuce truck are you sure that accident caused head trauma? Are you sure he didn't have head trauma before stealing a lettuce truck? I don't think anyone thinking clearly would risk jail to steal a truck full of lettuce.

I assumed it was a truck full of "The Devil's Lettuce"

motor oil is mineral oil. Whats the difference besides used motor oil being a bit contaminated by carbon (who cares) and some trace metals from your engine (who cares) and some detergents (who cares)?

I don't litter or pollute more than normal but thik of all the nasty black oil used in making an asphalt road which washes right off and down the nearest ditch,river,ocean. a bit of bar oil is not a drop in the bucket.

I agree its a drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps, im not going to ingest a teaspoon of motor oil but Mineral oil will help you have a large unexpected dump.

Guess it never rains there ?

I never had a chainsaw that slung oil, all the bar oil either ended up in the wood I cut and was burned or in the shaving or sawdust. Pretty sure that will be consumed by bacteria and the like long before it ends up in the water table. I hope with your concerns you are living in an unheated cave and eating what you are gathering and using your feet or a bicycle for transportation.

As for the guy who stole the lettuce truck are you sure that accident caused head trauma? Are you sure he didn't have head trauma before stealing a lettuce truck? I don't think anyone thinking clearly would risk jail to steal a truck full of lettuce.

According to Eddy, he didn't "steal" the truck, he just borrowed it.. He wanted to go to town, he was going to bring it back..

According to Eddy, if he wasn't in that accident, he'd be dead by now.. He apparently was quite the trouble maker.. A short jail stint in Cali for fighting in a bar or something, and another in Arizona.. I don't think he started out as the sharpest spoon in the drawer.. But if you ever met him.. Head trauma, all the way.. He doesn't understand a lot of things.. But he's a good guy.. Honest.. Likes my dogs, rubs their belly's.. Watches the place when I'm not here.

My good friend has set up a process for reclaiming way oil from the coolant in the CNCs at my old shop. After 3 separations it is free of coolant and stench. I am distributing it to all my wood cutting friends, except the oil snobs. Vactra #2 is not as waxy/sticky as it used to be (apparently due to the continuous oiling in CNCs), but it still makes great bar oil. When I last purchased a gallon of Poulan bar oil, it was gray instead of amber and smelled like 90wt. gear oil. Suspect it's recycled.

I believe Husquvarna uses sunflower oil with some additives.
Bil lD.

They do make that more expensive version, but their standard bar and chain oil is petroleum based.

For those of us who put used motor oil in their saw, think about what's in it. Bearing residue, esp.

I cut only on my own land, firewood and sawlogs, and logged quite a bit in 2005. Went through about 15 gallons of bar and chain, lots of it ending up on the ground, in my watershed, close enough to the springs that supply my drinking water to give me pause.

Back