What's new
What's new

I Would like to get information on this Hendey lathe that is in an auction.

Dave Vincent

Cast Iron
This lathe is in the same auction that the steam launch is in. I looks like a gear head but on the speed chart the higher speeds say belt and the lower speeds it says gear. Like a Cone head style with back gears. Thanks Dave

That is a Hendey General Purpose lathe, they made a #1 and a #2 size. They were an evolution from the earlier cone head lathes. I had a #2 with 42" bed, it was a smooth and accurate machine. I'm sure Hendeyman will be along to fill in the details of these lesser known Hendeys.

I have the No.1 machine, works great, good machine though not as good as the 18 speed Hendeys I also have. The one in the photo is a No.2
I would estimate if it were in good shape ways not worn it would be worth $2000 with all the tooling supplied. The Armstrong toolpost, though being the piston type and holders along with the lantern type toolpost and a few chucks along with a thread dail add quite a bit to the value.I don't think it has a taper attachment but it might. The Hendey No.1 and 2 have lead screw reverse and can reverse feed direction at a faster spindle speed than other Hendeys. Steady rest is Homemade! Pile of other items will let you get into machining without buying much more!

Thanks you, to those of you who have responded. My reason for my interest in this lathe I would like to up grade my lathe. The lathe I have now is a South Bend 16 X 7 belt drive. It is in good condition with good hard ways and well tooled. I would like to get a gear head lathe of about the same size. This lathe is close by and I plan to look at it at the auction open house. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks Dave

One of the reasons I was looking was that I wanted to use carbide insert tooling. On my SB the the belt will slip and break the insert in you take to much. Is the Hendey belt system any better? Thanks Dave

That Hendey is 10X the lathe your South Bend could ever hope to be. I use carbide tooling exclusively and my old #2 could take both a heavy roughing and do fine finish work with no issues at all.

RE your current South Bend lathe you should replace the belt if it is slipping. I do have a well worn heavy 10 here and for over 20yrs it has used nothing but carbide tooling. Check the belt tension, replace when needed and it should have no problem taking cuts within its limitation with carbide. Make sure you're using the right inserts, not all carbide is the same. There are insert grades made for working in the lower cutting speeds which will perform better on older, slower machines.

General neighborhood of 3,500lbs.

They are pretty swoopy looking with the
torpedo shaped headstocks. Briefly owned one just like it, and still have a DC drive version in cold storage waiting for a VFD and bed grind……maybe someone will get to it.

As I mentioned I have the No.1, I use carbide tooling all the time with no problem. Yes I do use some HSS tool bits but 95% of the time I use carbide. I'm not sure how the No.2 drives the spindle but the dual belt design on the No.1 eliminates slippage. Hendey does say in the manual not to use laced leather belts. I used Serpentine belt, they do make wider versions than used on cars. Works great on the flat belt pulleys that then is connected to the spindle via dual Vee belt. I have never had the belt slip or spindle stop while making a heavy cut. Like anything there is a limit but I haven't reached it and do like removing as much material as possible to get the job done in a short time.

Back