What's new
What's new

Idealarc RT3S-325 with a LN-7 wire feeder

jeffie_3

Aluminum
Came in today and they told me the wire feeder doesn't work. Have check the switch and the wires into the machine. I tested the transformer running to the servos, getting 5 volts.at the transformer. I also checked all the fuses. Any suggestions?

Came in today and they told me the wire feeder doesn't work. Have check the switch and the wires into the machine. I tested the transformer running to the servos, getting 5 volts.at the transformer. I also checked all the fuses. Any suggestions?
Servo's are involved ?

"doesn't work" as in what specifically ?

Servos plural or a single dc motor?

Does it go round and round? Are the rolls going round and round? If a not b: check roll set screws.

Does it strike an arc (pull extra wire, pull trigger see if arc happens if you touch ground)?

If not, the trigger on gun on plug at welder is usual suspect. Or you set machine to local and not remote.

There is no servo on a LN7 , Go to Lincoln electrics web site at the bottom of the page is manuals , there is a search box, type in LN7 and then a bunch of manuals will be available, find the serial number range that your feeder matches and open in English. Feeder to RT connections will be there.
Basically, when you pull the wire gun trigger it does several things first power source contactor closure, drive motor start and shielding gas sednoid activation.
The RT supply's power to the feeder to control all. be sure that all controls on the RT are set correctly, some have remote and panel switch.
As memphisjed said, pull the plug on the gun to feeder and hold trigger down and check for continuity on the gun Leeds. If o.k re plug in gun and power up the RT pull trigger and listen for weld contactor closure, there fairly loud. start there.

I recently bought a near new Idealarvc CV-305 with LN-74 feeder from a guy who said the feeder "might not" be working. Back at my shop, plugged it in and saw that the feeder breaker was popping on the front panel. It had a 20' factory (I think) extension on the feeder control cable. The fitting from the stock 6' cable to the extension was what looked like a cannon bulkhead coupling 2 cannon connectors. It wasn't though, just the strain relief /outer shell, and the cables were soldered directly into the bulkhead connector from each side. I noticed that the shrink-wrap was missing from one side. I loosened the shell strain relief and pulled it back to see that the wires on that side were broken off and twisted together, so someone, at some point thought it was a regular twist lock cannon connector! I rewired as per manual and it works. So check your feeder cable.

Last edited:

Back