What's new
What's new

Ideas for core drilling a long 3" diameter aluminum rod requested

ferretlegger

Aluminum
Gary, I totally understand how life derails the best plans. I am facing these sort of issues myself. My very best wishes that you get the boat back in the water after all this time. As Mr Toad ssaid, “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing–absolutely nothing–half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Cheers,
Michael
:)

murwood

Plastic
So this shaft log is about 3' to 3 1/2' long, just how much of it is corroded? Sounds like just the couple inches at the end with the shaft seal.

Why not pull the shaft log, clean it up, weld it up (5086 is readily weldable is it not?) and turn down the welded end back to original size?

You stated you have spare Cutlass bearings so why change the size of the back end?

vitmus

Plastic
Call Tech Marine in Fife Wa. For a quote. I have used them several times for longggg drilled holes. They can do it and very reasonably. Would be worth the call 206-878-7878 even w shipping considerations.

DeepHollowBen

Plastic
Good morning Michael,
If you need a quote on this size aluminum bar, you may try American Hollow Boring Co.
It's pretty long for most conventional setups, large for most gundrilling that tops out at 2", and small for the trepanning David Wilks (excellent machinist) does. Our chosen process of Single Tube System or BTA drilling is the way to go. This application is wide open tolerance. Please check if the following will meet your need and contact us for a quote. We could turnaround to ship in a week.

1 Pcs 5086 Aluminum Bar provided by you 3'' OD x 42'' long with ends saw cut square. We are to rough drill 1.875'' ID through the entire length, less all other work.

We don't typically work with individuals, but we hope we can help to get your sailboat fixed. Fun to sail in Erie, PA!

Cheers.