What's new
What's new

Identification help needed.

Dober

Plastic
This item was in my dad's stuff and I have no idea what it is. I believe it may be an attachment for a Boley lathe but I'm not sure. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 18
It is called a jewelling tailstock and probably fits a G. Boley WW pattern watchmaker lathe. It is missing some parts. They are rather rare because the work they make go faster can be done in more time with less expensive tools and watchmakers usually avoided buying expensive tools that they could do without.

Here is an American-made version. http://www.horo-logical.co.uk/jewrest.html

Larry

Last edited:
Hello Larry,
Thank you very much for your information on this item. I've attached a photo of the other pieces that were with the tailstock. Are these the missing pieces you are referring to?

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 27
Hello Larry,
Thank you very much for your information on this item. I've attached a photo of the other pieces that were with the tailstock. Are these the missing pieces you are referring to?
Yes, many of those items would be used with the jewelling tailstock.

Larry

Hello Larry,
Thank you for your response.
I have no history on how he obtained these items........maybe at an auction. He was a machinist but on a much larger scale. I need to liquidate them since I have no use for them. Would you be willing to quote me an amount that I could list them for?

I have no wish to own it. I suspect very few people would actually have an intention of using it, but there are lathe collectors that might buy it just to have another rare tool. I have no idea what they might be willing to pay.

Larry

I have no wish to own it. I suspect very few people would actually have an intention of using it, but there are lathe collectors that might buy it just to have another rare tool. I have no idea what they might be willing to pay.

Larry

Back