What's new
What's new

Iffy lift of the day... 16,000 lb (weight) forklift with 15,000 (capacity) forklift....

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
OK officially the Hyundai forklift is a 15500 lb cap but the actual rating is probably not even 14500 lbs due to side shift and fork positioning attachments. Had a roll back on call in case it "felt bad"... But lifted and lowered the CAT 10K truck (from dock height semi flat bed) like a champ... felt "good".... and yeah I made sure it was good even with mast upright since relying on tilt back is a problem going down due to unfavorable geometry the lower it goes. IMG_2802.jpgIMG_2801.jpg

FWIW, according to spec width the CAT forklift was right at the 24" centers of the Hyundai forks ...maybe 1/2" less

Last edited:
No problem with using the curl to pick, just crib the mast tight before you set it down. Isn't rated capacity 80% of tipping load?

I used to change the oil in the H80s by lifting them with the BHB 8ton fork........the new manager saw me ,and the poor bastid wet himself......never heard such a high pitched scream .......Getn R Dun is what its called.

yep looks fine, that smaller machine looks well within the lifting capacity of the large one. small one is probably 8K max weight and 15K on the large one has plenty of room. had a smaller forklift move my 10'X10' cnc that was 12K probably 48" out
local company said the cap looses about 150# per inch further out then the 24" roughly. and the machine was tipping quite a bit moving it.

We used to ship containers of machinery out of our shop in SF through the port of Oakland that were overweight, right at 60k lbs by bribing the drivers ($500). We lifted to the trailers with 2 forklifts, a 20,000 and a 15,000. Exciting, but we never dropped one!

Attachments

• conainerlift.jpg
    conainerlift.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 40
3,245lbs off the ground with a 1,900lb rated lift! LOL

I don't lift these silly loads very high with Pit-Stop. But, I do move them around often.
Nobody loves a forklift more than I love Pit-Stop!

Attachments

• 20180721_220514.jpg
    20180721_220514.jpg
    912.8 KB · Views: 27
Some time back we purchased a brand-new Mazak mill from a machinery dealer for parts, dirt cheap. Seems the customer they sold it too slid it off the forks from about what I was told 14 inches from the ground. I understand it cracked 8-inch-thick concrete. Their customer decided to install it themselves with a rental lift that was under rated for the mill.

The biggest risk is cast iron machine bases on steel forks .......like skating on ice....ive seen big machines just skid off forks without the forklift moving
Yep! The rigger I use always, ALWAYS, places a thin (Looks like 1/4", but I would guess its smashed 3/8" LOL) square of plywood on the forks under the iron any time the surface they are working on is anything but flat/level. He/they also always place the same ply squares on the skates before the set the iron on them.
He told me the amount of traction the ply provides between the iron and forks is substantial. Especially used machines that are oil soaked.
And that he has never pulled a machine off the skates using the ply. I believe him. He is one of the best in the biz!

My biggest risk with the double capacity stunts on Pit-Stop is 50+ year old pressure hoses!
And sometimes I look at the two little 3/16" pins that terminate the chain to the mast and think "I'm a damn idiot!" LOL

Some time back we purchased a brand-new Mazak mill from a machinery dealer for parts, dirt cheap. Seems the customer they sold it too slid it off the forks from about what I was told 14 inches from the ground. I understand it cracked 8-inch-thick concrete. Their customer decided to install it themselves with a rental lift that was under rated for the mill.
Before I knew my go-to guys (riggers) had left the place they were, and moved on to a better place, I scheduled a move. I had never seen the guys that showed up for that one.
And it was a shit show. I had an '83 Nakamura Slant-1 at the time. Dumb-ass dropped one rear corner about 8". Hit hard. I was pissed beyond belief!
3 months later, The spindle drive in that machine took a crap. Took me a little bit to find a good tech to work on it. Most claimed "too old".
Which I translated to: you don't really know what your doing. Anyways, I eventually found a guy who fixed it right up. Foreign guy named Georgie I think, good dude.
He told me lots of solder-pads and Vias had taken a good hit. Any component on the board that had any weight to it had some type of damage or compromise at the solder joint. Cost me a pretty penny as it was a lot of work. But, the only components he actually replaced were electrolytic caps because of age.
Pretty sure he told me it was a voltage regulator that had a cold joint on one leg that left the drive in-operable. I think the repair was about $1500.
That was big coin for me at the time. But, a drop in the bucket compared to the $11k Fanuc wanted, or the $9k TIE wanted.
I sold it ASAP after that, and bought my current lathe. I follow the current owner on IG, and know for a fact the thing still runs and holds tenths.
They do tight tolerance aerospace stuff. That was a damn good machine. Slow, but SOLID!
Moral of the story: hire good riggers that wont drop your stuff!!!!!!!!

Any later (post 1965) forklift will have hoseburst protection in the lift at least,and some in the tilt.........this stops stuff from falling down .......most forklifts work on low pressure ,around 1200-1500 psi,which means even beat up hoses dont seem to bust.

For better or for worse, when I've lifted forklifts with forklifts, I put one fork behind the steer tires, under the counterweight, instead of both in the center. Seems to be balanced a bit better that way.

Basically on hard pavement unless the steering begins to feel light things like this are very doable as long as done by an experienced person who exercises proper caution.

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the way things often get done out of necessity.

H
yep looks fine, that smaller machine looks well within the lifting capacity of the large one. small one is probably 8K max weight and 15K on the large one has plenty of room.
It may “look” that way but the “small one” weighs 15,750 lbs according to its data plate. Which makes sense given its 10,000 lb capacity .

Way back in the 80s, Fred bought a 13k lb. horizontal mill. On the day it arrived the only lift he could borrow was rated at 11k. For unknown reasons, I was always the designated driver when it came to these iffy lifts. It took full back tilt and four human counterweights (including Fred) to get it high enough to pull the truck out from under. As I began ever-so-gently lowering the mill, Fred told one of the counterweights to jump off and put some timbers under it. The combination of the changing CG and loss of 120 lbs on the back was enough. As the back wheels came up I hit full down on the mast, to no avail. The mill crashed to the concrete then tipped to one side, landing on the end of the table. This freed the forks, which bounced back up and flipped over into the transport position, vibrating like tuning forks with me right between them. Once I got off the lift, it was an hour before I could stand without help.

Back