What's new
What's new

I'm looking for opinions on small 30 taper mills like the Brother and Robo

huleo

Hot Rolled
We have several small parts stacking up and looking for experiences and opinions on the Brother mills? I am not yet sure what options they have but many that I see are 5 axis with trunnion and that is likely the direction we want to go. I am really looking for ballpark pricing on them. I have no clue what they cost and that will factor into what direction we go. I want to say Haas starting making one? I sort of walked away from Haas but I guess I could reopen my door if they are solid?

I want to say folks in the past steered me away from Robodrills. I can't recall why.

Ultimately, it would really be super to have a pallet system but I realize I might have to chose one or the other regarding 5 axis and pallet system.

if you don't want to share pricing publicly, feel free to PM. Just trying to get some bearings on these little guys ability. I hear guys doing great things with them but I need to know they are really the right fit. I don't expect to put Ti on one, but if the part is small, I'd sure like to know it can do it!

We would very much like to talk to you about Brother. Please send me a PM with your contact information if you would like to see what we can offer.

Andy Dukes
Yamazen

Brothers will handle titanium and stainless without issue. The only advantage of RoboDrills is they will do simultaneous 5x. Brother will only do 4+1. 4x simultaneous can be done on either of the additional axis, just not both at the same time.

R650X2 40MG with a tilting rotary and you’ll have a pallet machine with 4+1, can even have one on each pallet if you want.

Brothers will handle titanium and stainless without issue. The only advantage of RoboDrills is they will do simultaneous 5x. Brother will only do 4+1. 4x simultaneous can be done on either of the additional axis, just not both at the same time.

R650X2 40MG with a tilting rotary and you’ll have a pallet machine with 4+1, can even have one on each pallet if you want.
Thanks! I looked up the 650x2 and curious how they manage the pallet change with the trunnion rotary on board? And that rotary is just that, right? So 4 axis, not 5? Or am I missing something.

And I believe I mispoke regarding a "trunnion" , and was referring to a double rotary for 5 axis. I do not anticipate needing full 5 axis motion as I primarily need it for positioning for access, but not being able to go full 5 axis is odd considering Brother pushes everything else

Really, I think we would consider both a double trunnion and double 5 axis rotary. It appears what they did is combine the workings of the HMC with a vertical spindle.

Are there other machines in this class to consider? It does appear people are still having issues and distaste for Haas. Not surprising and sounds like I should just stay away.

Thanks! I looked up the 650x2 and curious how they manage the pallet change with the trunnion rotary on board? And that rotary is just that, right? So 4 axis, not 5? Or am I missing something.

And I believe I mispoke regarding a "trunnion" , and was referring to a double rotary for 5 axis. I do not anticipate needing full 5 axis motion as I primarily need it for positioning for access, but not being able to go full 5 axis is odd considering Brother pushes everything else

All of the wiring and airlines are ran thru the bottom center of the table. The setups/installs are very clean. You can do either a rotary (4x) , or a tilting rotary (4+1) on one or both sides. You can even run a tool setter on each pallet to handle tool breakage/pull out detection on each side.

If you don’t need simultaneous 5x and just need it for positional 5, or 4+1, it’s hard to beat a Brother Speedio. The control is basic, very similar to FANUC. Not as user friendly as Haas’ control but full of all the features most need. Control is stable and extremely fast. Machines are reliable and any service, which is rare, Yamazen handles quickly.

Attached are some photos of one of our R650X2. This has a Brother T200A 4th axis and a trunnion, subplate and tool setter stand we made.

Attachments

• C26F7A73-6AB6-45A3-9879-2318D2D662F4.jpeg
    C26F7A73-6AB6-45A3-9879-2318D2D662F4.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 17
  • F1F2C5E3-BE87-4E03-989F-7EFFEE536EE7.jpeg
    F1F2C5E3-BE87-4E03-989F-7EFFEE536EE7.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 70031F8F-F24B-42C8-ADB6-801204EDD345.jpeg
    70031F8F-F24B-42C8-ADB6-801204EDD345.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 14
  • E3C5A6CC-D781-42E1-914E-A113D569B235.jpeg
    E3C5A6CC-D781-42E1-914E-A113D569B235.jpeg
    638.6 KB · Views: 15
  • E0CB470F-1B4D-403F-B6B4-72FD6AB57E95.jpeg
    E0CB470F-1B4D-403F-B6B4-72FD6AB57E95.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I just got an R650 with two T-200 rotaries. The only things I can add are 4 second chip to chip pallet changes have been a game changer for me, I don't think there is anything else in this class to consider for smaller parts production and I have been looking for years, and full 5 axis means a lot more hurdles to export from Japan.

Couch, I really like where you put the tool setter on the rotary, I am going to have to do the same for mine.

Brothers are awesome, we love our S500's. As long as you understand the difference in approach between a 40 or 50 taper and a BT-30 life is good. There's lot's of info on that here, I won't rehash it.

The only reason I would get something other than a Speedio in the future is if we start making parts that need tooling size or stick out beyond 30 taper range.

Back