What's new
What's new

IMCO (Tos Trencin) Lathe

Machinery_E

Titanium
We have a IMCO Lathe that appears to have been made by Tos-Trencin, according to the tag on it.
What I am trying to find out about it is:

How do you set it up to cut threads, (I am especially interested if it can be used for metric threading), as it does not have a tag on it that most lathes do that shows what position the levers must be in to cut different threads.

For service, (such as getting a manual for it), who would you contact here in the US?

Numbers off of it are:

TY SN55 NO 05530772

I think it is a 24" X 120" machine. Also would be curious as when it was made-our serial number reference handbook does not have it in there.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Eric

KBC sells them here in the U.S.. I don't know if they are the exclusive importer. Here's their website where you should be able to find contact information.

KBC Tools Website

A fellow I know owns one smaller than yours (17" I think) and really likes it. I'm certain his cuts metric threads.

FWIW

That is an inch-metric machine. Normal SOP for metric leads is you don't disengage once engaging for the cut. Since this lathe has an english lead screw you basically have no chance of rengaging off the synchro dial in the same spot. There are change gears that drive the qc box that must be set properly. There is another pair of gears for the low/ high on the spindle speeds. I may have a drawing of the qc gearbox chart if you need it, had to make a new one for mine when I had it.

Here is the chart from my SN55
TOSSN55QCchart.jpg

Well, first off I would like to thank everyone for responding!

Omnitrade-I contacted them and got a response back. They can offer a photo-copy, although I kind of think its a bit expensive, depends on how big it is.

KBC-Thats a thought-Thanks!

Wille-I can understand the change gears, from what I understand from vmil3's chart, with the 30,71,and 127 gears you can cut the threads shown on the chart by setting the levers to the correct position. I am assuming that you can cut other threads/have different feeds by changing the gears, right? (See picture below of the change gear compartment)
Not sure if the gear change for different spindle speeds is the same on ours, I don't see any provision for gear changes, if you or someone else could point it out, I would appreciate it!

vmil3- WOW! Thank you for posting the chart! Looks like it makes sense except for one point, on the metric threads, and one english thread series, it says "set lever for 19 tpi" the only problem is the lever we have on our lathe says 13 tpi.
If you could check out the pictures and let me know your thoughts, I would appreciate it!

Okay, here it goes, to cut a M14 X 1.5 thread I would-
100_0721.JPG

Leave this lever in the 1:1 position, the other lever is for the direction of feed according to the tag
100_0718.JPG

Move this lever to the "c" position
100_0719.JPG

Move this lever in the "4" position
100_0717.JPG

I assume move this one to the 13 tpi position?

And we should be cutting the correct thread?

Question:
100_0720.JPG

Whats this lever for?
100_0722.JPG

This is the gear change compartment.
100_0716.JPG

View of the headstock.
100_0723.JPG

View of the lathe.

If you point out any errors or problems you see, please let me know.
Vmil3, please let me know about the 19 tpi and the 13 tpi, and if this lathe looks like yours. If you, or anyone else, has a manual for you SN55, and would be willing to make a copy, please let me know, I would be happy to pay for the expenses related to doing that.

Thanks again for your help guys! I appreciate your time in helping me very much!
Eric

There was one colunm missing in my previous post, this is the corrected pic.

TOSSN55feedthreadchart.jpg

The lever you are inquiring about is to change the QC from Inch to Metric, "notice the little pin on the right side of the boss on the lever. As your lever is in your pic, it is set to cut inch threads. Shift lever to your left, so the pin is down towards you, that is the metric position.

TOSSN55InchMetricselectorlever.jpg

I will check on the 19 or 13 plate tomorrow and post a close up pic.

The clutch lever on the apron used to energize the spindle must go down to run forward, and up for reverse spindle rotation. This is for oil pump to pump oil to the head stock bearings and gears, if it is backwards no oil gets pumped through the head stock!!!
Doug

Hi Eric,
here is a pic of the 19/1 lever, on yours it's 13/1

TOSSN5519levera.jpg

I think this lever position (19/1)is just to cut the range of threads above the little pic of the lever on the thread chart.To cut inch or metric threads this lever is positioned to your right.TOS made as far as I know two models of the SN55 lathe Model SN55a, and SN55b, they both can be equipped with either an inch (4tpi)or metric (6m/m P)lead screw. My lathe's s/n is 55305148. On the chart is one error, the very top right hand number should be position 4 not position 1 at the last column on the right of the thread chart that's the one that cuts 13 tpi.

The 19/1 range on my lathe, would be used only to cut 3/8" British Pipe thread. It looks like your lathe uses the 13/1 to cut the 1/2"-13 NC thread.On my lathe that is the far right column and you must change the gears on the back of the QC to 41T stud gear, 90T idler gear, and 94T gear on the 4 tpi lead screw. For metric or Inch threads the back gears are as follows stud gear 30T, idler gear is 71T, and a 127T gear on the lead screw.
Doug

Hi Doug,
Thank you very much for your replies! And also the very helpful information, I appreciate it very much, we now have alot more info than we had. At least now when we go to use it, we will have an idea of what levers need to be where for the different threads/feeds.
Hopefully, after some cleanup/repairs, we'll be good to go.
Thanks again very much!

Eric

Hi folks
I went and viewed one of these lathes today, and was impressed with the quality of it.It was a modle sn24c though.Im thinking of buying it for gunsmithing /barrel work and will be cutting mostly imperial threads but this machine has a metric leadscrew, can anybody tell me if there are any downsides to screwcutting with this setup? :confused:

K, I think that for english threads on a machine with a metric leadscrew, it would be the same as if you are cutting metric threads with a english leadscrew-you will have to keep the half nuts engaged at all times during threading, and reverse the the spindle.

Hope this helps!

Eric

We have a IMCO Lathe that appears to have been made by Tos-Trencin, according to the tag on it.
What I am trying to find out about it is:

How do you set it up to cut threads, (I am especially interested if it can be used for metric threading), as it does not have a tag on it that most lathes do that shows what position the levers must be in to cut different threads.

For service, (such as getting a manual for it), who would you contact here in the US?

Numbers off of it are:

TY SN55 NO 05530772

I think it is a 24" X 120" machine. Also would be curious as when it was made-our serial number reference handbook does not have it in there.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Eric
you should search archive.org, search "lathe manual" all brands, many models

Yes,that lathe make a very fine metric threads,as European made lathe.You must change the levers to specific icons,follow the instructionw of the pics that you have see on the lathe,behind of levers.Its a very easy procedure to do!

Back