What's new
What's new

Import machines from USA to Canada, things to consider?

Stirling

Hot Rolled
Import machines from USA to Canada, things to consider?
What kind of pitfally/problems/costs can one expect from trying this?
regulations, CSA problems for machine wiring??

so much more availible in the USA in the used market so it would be nice to understand it better

You’ll get hit with duty and tax at the rate of the import province. Depending on MOL requirements or if you need an OQ/PQ for ISO, you’ll need a hydro sticker on it. Again, price dependent on province.

More of a market yet take into consideration our dollar is nearly worthless.

Country of origin is your first consideration.
If it was built in North America, there should NOT be any duties.
IF NOT, then you will likely have to pay whatever duties would be expected from a machine from that country.
Just b/c the USA received duty payment for it is not relevant.

Not sure where you would go to get that kind of paperwork?
Prolly start with the border patrol website?

You will want that paperwork even if it WAS built in North America (even if it was built in Canada!).
I took a 1929 (?) drill press accrost the river 20+ yrs ago, and of course that was built here. I had no paperwork.
I got a bit of grief, but they eventually let me cross.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Country of origin is your first consideration.

Funny you should mention that ... we were in the middle of a sale when trumplestiltskin pulled his stupid illegal tariffs which senile joe has continued, thought "oh oh, this one's toast" until we realized the machine had a US nametag on it but was not built in the US ! Problem averted (with a bunch more paperwork but still, paper is cheap).

Effing tariffs :(

I had a piece of tooling a guy in Ontario wanted to buy. I told the guy I would not crate it so he said have a crating company do it. It was similar to a Hardinge cross slide in size. Crating company wanted $300. I asked why so much? Because it had to be made of certified insect free wood. Anyway the deal fell through because of that cost and other issues.

I've sold machines to guys from British Columbia who come down to Seattle to pick up. Of course they always ask for a bill of sale with a lesser sales price. They deal with all tariffs, etc at the border crossing. They tell me it can be a crap shoot as to costs, just depends which border crossing they use or who is on duty apparently.

In years past I'd gone up to BC and purchased small tooling items and conveniently forgot to declare them coming back to the USA.

any equiptment is easy to bring back, pay duties on the cost in Cad so basically 13% hst then you need a $300-500 ESA inspection before you can leagally hook it up.
then just need to make sure voltage is good. Most industrial power here comes in at 600V and most of the usa is 480V
then esa might need some things changed in the cabinet to meet canadian electrical codes, could be nothing, or could be all contactors and breakers in the panel if not UL rated or something like that.

Back