What's new
What's new

In the market for turning center

DBcooper

Aluminum
I'm looking for a reasonably priced turning center for my home shop, I'm considering something like a qt or sqt. I don't know a ton about Mazak model numbers or comparables but those have caught my eye and would fit nicely in my space.

How user friendly is the mazatrol controller? I've operated a Haas turning center in the past, but never programmed a ton. I do a lot of conversational milling, but I'd like to get more proficient with cad/cam in the future.

What are some models to stay away from, red flags or selling points for some late 90's to early-mid 2000's mazaks?

Thanks in advance

94 era QT18 will do you right. Can hold tolerances all day long and doesn't take up shop floor space. Can't remember which control is better. Not a mazak expert like others.

I've found Mazatrol to be very user friendly, even starting from scratch. Philabuster's videos and this forum have been wonderful.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

For turning Mazatrol is very fast and simple, you will look differently at your other controls once you get comfortable. I find that vs Fanuc the mitsu/mazak controls are a few less keystrokes and more intuitive, but that's just my opinion.
I would look for "fusion" or newer-late90's to mid 2000's, it has a win95 pc and parts are easy to get, older controls are simpler and serviceable but those parts are pricey and although mazak/mitsu supports everything it can get to "not worth fixing" status quickly.

Back