What's new
What's new

Index 40 Milling Machine Questions

KGCT

Plastic
Hi,

I've been looking to purchase a milling machine for my own shop, and recently took at look at an index model 40 for sale.

It appears to be in decent shape for its age, except for the drawbar and power quill feed engagement. The collet is also stuck (I didn't want to push it while doing a pre purchase inspection). It looks like the pulley for the power quill feed drive was cracked at some point. And there is a solid chip in the table but I could work around that.

If anyone is familiar with the machines and could shed a little light on the issues above I would appreciate it. Or anything else specifically to look for or avoid.

I have several pictures just need to figure out how to add them

Thanks!

Pictures here: Index 40 Milling Machine - Album on Imgur

Last edited:
Unless the price is scrap - move out time I would lean no. Pulleys don't jut crack like that, add in stuck bit and table hit hard enough to chip and you are looking at a lot of work..

Not bad looking for a 65-75 year old mill. The crack in the pulley could be where it is keyed to the spindle, got into a wreck and broke the C.I. sheave. Would it hurt anything? probably not until the next time it gets into a wreck. The stuck arbor is going to be a bear to get removed. That spindle has a No. 9 B & S taper and someone probably tighten the crap out of it! You can see where the end of the draw bar has been beaten on in the past removing arbors from this mill. $250 tops in my book. Be a good American made mill for a start. Don't expect to hold aircraft tolerances on this antique beast. I have the next generation Index mill over this one, a 645. Ken

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'll probably pass on this unless the price comes down some more, I do have a sweet spot for old machines so its hard to say no. It also comes with a Victoria vise and a yuasa 550-004 indexer. The vise is usable after new soft jaws but I don't have any experience using an indexer. Current price is $950 for everything.

Yikes. Not for $950. Even for free, it will not be cheap.

I got a later 40H within the past year for not much more than $950, in very good shape. I know good deals are not necessarily viable for comparison, but I think you'll find that these 40 & 40H mills are harder to find than they are expensive to purchase. Once prices get past $1500 range, they tend to linger or at least did up until the time I finally got mine.

If you need specific detail pics or info, contact or email me directly and I'll be glad to try to help. Still haven't made any chips with mine (hopefully soon) so can't advise about pros/cons.

$350
as far as i know there are no auto feed parts available, quill or table

Thanks, I think if he comes down on price enough I would consider taking on the project. Both feeds appeared to engage, and X I was able to move manually by turning the driveshaft. I'm fairly certain the issue is with the drive belts on both

its the gears. they dont exist, custom order items. I have a spare quill drive for mine, in case it poops out. That crack in the quill feed pulley is minor. Index can sell you a new correct drawbar, not old threaded rod. Really, though, i love mine. My 40H isnt going anywhere. I will someday upgrade to a 1 hp motor, though. They handle 1 hp fine. If i could change any one thing, it would be quill travel. In order to bore almost any engine you need to manually feed the bottom of the cylinder. Then use power feed for the ring travel area, as its going to have a better finish, but your still going to stone it anyway. I power feed the top travel and hand crank the rest of it.

A friend of mine has an Index like that. He got it for free as the plant it was in had to get rid of it because OSHA condemned it. He uses it mostly as a drill press and for that it is excellent.
I have a similar vintage mill - a Millmaster made by Midway Machine in St Paul, MN. It has the exact same drive/feed on the table as that Index.
I agree that mill is over priced but as handy as they are it is still worth something - maybe half to 2/3 of the asking price.
Mine also uses BS9 collets which I am always on the lookout for. Could buy a new set but am too cheap to pay more for a set of collets than I did the mill.

I had the Index 40 quite some time ago. I agree $950 is toooo much. I got mine for $150 from a dealer but that was 20 years ago. The draw bar has been replaced, not sure why they added the extension. It should have the draw bar style for #9 B&S. Also looks like a collet type tool holder was added I don't remember the spindle extending that much. Should have a sliding cover to keep the chips off the cross feed screw. I don't think that crack above the spindle pulley was due to a crash, I'm thinking it was done by beating on the draw bar and maybe why a collet tool holder was added. Machine I had was in great shape, did excellent work, will drill but gear drive spindle is kinda slow however good for large drills. I would check the table screws if badly worn they will need replaced. I would not exceed $250 for that machine and less if the screws are bad. I sold mine when up-grading to Cincinnati Toolmaster.

I honestly wouldn't mind trying to buy it just for the parts. I'm currently own one that had both of the power feeds removed and sold off smh. Mine also has a non OEM motor and bracket. The positive thing about mine is it's in pretty good shape otherwise,And Incredibly accurate for its age. Mine also has a hardinge quick collet installed. I'm stuck using the hardinge #10 Collets. I can't even get it out lol to check the taper lol

Back