What's new
What's new

Indexable confusion

Dells

Plastic
The amount of indexable tool holders and inserts is mind boggling, can anyone clear things up for me because I have trouble holding HSS tool bits to grind them due to having gout in both hands I needed to look at alternatives, I found some HSS inserts from LMS made by Warners and had some shipped to UK and have got some glanze holders and as they came with carbide inserts I thought I would try them on my small Pultra 17/70 and I am quite impressed although I have to run lathe quite a bit faster, anyway what confuses me is what insert goes with what holder, if we take the HSS inserts as an example CCMW if I get a holder that takes CCMW does that mean that any CC variation IE CCMW, CCMT, and so on, I hope my confusion is clear to everyone.
Dell
3A9E5236-44B1-44B8-AA0D-5980A08A781B.jpg

Attachments

• AC57F9DA-5EF7-4733-82A8-30EE460647AF.jpg
    AC57F9DA-5EF7-4733-82A8-30EE460647AF.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 45

hvnlymachining

Cast Iron
In order the four letters identify the; Shape, clearance,tolerance and type.

So yes, the first two are the critical ones, however the numbers that follow are dimensions and also critical. Specifically the first two again, with the third number being the corner radius.

A quick search for turning insert chart will give you more insight on the letter and number designations.