What's new
What's new

Indexable face mill

M. Roberts

Aluminum
Hello all,
I am looking for suggestions for a new face mill; in the 3 to 4" range...something that takes the standard IC inserts, not the cartridge type..something that takes a lot of inserts...any help would be appreciated.
Mark

D Nelson

Stainless
Do your homework don’t just pick standard inserts. Facemills are expensive to run. Pick a good style that has flipable inserts like 8 cutting edges per insert if you don’t need a 90 degree corner don’t use a 90 cutter they are harder on inserts. Hopefully this helps out
Don
Hello all,
I am looking for suggestions for a new face mill; in the 3 to 4" range...something that takes the standard IC inserts, not the cartridge type..something that takes a lot of inserts...any help would be appreciated.
Mark

Mtndew

Diamond
We can recommend many different types but we need more info if you want good advice.
What machine will be using this? Does it have enough horsepower to take heavy cuts?
Is it some shitty chinese hunk of shit that rattles when you take .02"?

And what is standard IC inserts? Who cares what the IC is?
What material will you be cutting? What kind of finish are you wanting to achieve?
Why do you want something that takes a lot of inserts?
C'mon Man!

M. Roberts

Aluminum
Well, if you must know, the material is a silicon carbide reinforced ceramic. Probably run the FM of a Yazda, Micron, or KERN, looking to achieve a 1 micron or better finish. The inserts will be comprised of diamond, but because I do not know the configuration for the FM yet, I am unable to specify...good enough for you??

sfriedberg

Diamond
If you want to run PCD tipped inserts, that definitely limits the available insert styles and sizes. If I were approaching this "choose a facemill" selection problem, I would start with the available inserts and find facemills that take them. Doing it the other direction, choosing a facemill and then trying to find PCD inserts for it, is more likely to end in failure (to find a match).

Mtndew

Diamond
looking to achieve a 1 micron or better finish. The inserts will be comprised of diamond, but because I do not know the configuration for the FM yet, I am unable to specify...good enough for you??
That actually helps.
To achieve that good of a finish, you want a facemill where you can adjust each insert and indicate them in.
Have a look at the Sandvik Century RA590 facemill with PCD inserts. We have one for a repeat aluminum job and easily get 2-4 micron finish with it.

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-us/search/products/tl_cor/mil_cor/milsq_cor/milsq_ind_cor?q=ra590&filter={"refiners":{"TIBPAvailability":["Available"],"IsTailorMade":[0]},"tableType":null,"selectedColumns":null}

M. Roberts

Aluminum
I did see the FM from sandvik, and have a quote. Regarding the PCD inserts, depending on the FM that I decide, I was going to have them made to fit. I'm not sure if rake angle would be a factor in cutting this material....

DavidScott

Titanium
Well, if you must know, the material is a silicon carbide reinforced ceramic. Probably run the FM of a Yazda, Micron, or KERN, looking to achieve a 1 micron or better finish. The inserts will be comprised of diamond, but because I do not know the configuration for the FM yet, I am unable to specify...good enough for you??
Is the ceramic hard or soft? I machined quartz and ceramic for 20 years so have a little experience. Your 1 micron finish sounds rather challenging.