What's new
What's new

indexing head ID

magneticanomaly

Titanium
I dragged my indexing head off the shelf onto the mill table, to cut a little worm-wheel (subject of another thread!), and decided to take photos and see if anyone recognizes it.

It is obviously missing the external gearing. I have only the index plate for it that is on it now..fortunately has the 19 holes I need for the immediate project. I have not thoroughly cleaned it looking for a maker's name, but it is clean enough (hard to see in the photos) that I can read the graduations for degrees of tilt, and the "oil hole" by certain screws, but no maker's name appears.

If I know who made it, I might be able to start looking for the missing parts.
Thanindexing head 1.jpgindexing head 2.jpgindexing head  3.jpgindexing head 4.jpgks to all lookers!

Jim Christie

Titanium
It looks to me like a Brown and Sharpe type universal dividing head.
Drawing on Page 22 of this pdf.
There were many clones made of these .
I have one of the No1 plain type dividing heads (no change gears ) about 45 years old that was made in Taiwan .
Many clones like the one I have will be made to metric measurements so while close to B&S the parts may not quite fit a genuine B&S.
I think genuine B& S had as small round stamped enameled B&S emblem inset into a recess some where on the front of the dividing head at least on the plain type
Jim

Last edited:

magneticanomaly

Titanium
Spindle nose is 2 3/4 -4 thread. Amazingly there was a home-made-looking bushing I never noticed before in the spindle taper, and the BORE of that bushing is a perfect fit for my SB-10's collet adapter, so I'll be able to use all my 3-AT collets.

Anyone have a tailstock they want to part with?