What's new
What's new

Info on early Cincinnati No 2 Vert.???

Dr. Hillbilly

Aluminum
I just purchased an old No 2. I can find a lot of information on the old Cincinnati horizontals, but almost nothing on the verticals. Can anyone steer me to sites with the old documents?

My first decision is spindle RPM. The machine came from a line-shaft, but without main or counter-shaft pulleys so I do not know the original input RPM. Does anyone know what spindle speeds would have been used on the No 2 around 1910, and how much I could over-speed the spindle without abusing anything?

Maybe really slow

1913 no 2 vert went to 450 - the spindle runs in Babbitt or other plain bearings

Spindle taper is No. 11 B&S

I'll get around to edit in those page scans by and by

20220419_201440.jpg20220419_201646.jpg

Apparently my No2 is not so old. The spindle is #50 taper, and I should have recognized that 50 taper came a bit later.

Some of the "M" series maybe, though not NMTB yet - just the flanged and face keyed spindle nose - nor were they "speedy" yet by any stretch. My thirties 2M was still stuck on a top of 419 - with Timkens and NMTB 50 spindle

http://ozarktoolmanuals.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfcatalogs/Cincinnati_Catalog_1926.pdf

have fun

Here is my 2M - you could tell it had Timken spindle bearings by the bolt on ring around the spindle nose

Timken 2M.jpg

How they got the machine to have 16 speeds - two speed countershaft up on the overhead - running at the two speeds specified in post #3 above

20220422_131425.jpg

Back