What's new
What's new

Info? Surface grinder vise, Abrasive Tool Co.

M. Moore

Titanium
Just picked up this little vise and want to know what is was used for and what machine it was used with as it is a bit unusual. As you can see in the photos it has one bevelled ( 1/2 dovetail?) jaw and round base.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Attachments

• Abrasivevise2.jpg
    Abrasivevise2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 143
  • Abrasivevise1.jpg
    Abrasivevise1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Abrasivevise3.jpg
    Abrasivevise3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 151
Had a vice like that that came with an Elliott Horizontal Mill.

It had a bevelled jaw piece that slid in to pull the work down as the vice was tightened.

Also had a swivel base, so maybe that vice has lost its base?

I think the bevel is to hold down a loose packing piece shaped to support hard to grip profiles, part machined jobs or things being set up for repair.

For example it would work just fine if you are doing the "rod trick" to hold something with a tapered side although, in that case, the bevel on its own might work just as well by generating near line contact at the top.

Looks as it would be pretty easy to change out the bevel jaw for a special.

There are a goodly number of light duty vice designs with clever jaw arrangements for holding tricky stuff floating around. Mine is a Sevo with pivoting sections for jaws.

Clive

Thank you for all the replies.
LVanice, I looked at a few documents on vintage machinery and did not find that one. A great summary! Explains it all in very few words.

So is anyone looking for such a vise? Does it have any value? I don’t have a surface grinder at this time and not sure if I will ever have one.

It would be easy to make a base for ut to swivel on.
And it can be used with not having a base.

I don't like using vise on a surface grinder but many grinder users like to, so Yes it has value.

If the angled jaw can be removed it becomes more valuable.

You might post it (with size) for $50 or $100...and take the best bid, perhaps $100 or $25.

From Abrasive Tool Co. then it is a high-quality vise.
Here is an old Abrasive grinder. looks like a very good spindle and an open wheel total=ke that heavy a cut dry and not born the part. The old Abrasive that I used performed every bot as good as a G&L or a Brown & Sharp.
abrasive tool company - Bing video

I'm just bumping this back to view. If the angled jaw is removable then this could be a very handy vise.
One might make a notched jaw to hold a row or parts for grinding length...Or what.
Yes, looks like not removable, so a mill pocket might be made.
*Someone might make an offer.

Mich,
It is not a removable jaw. It also does not need a base it was designed to mount on the table and swivel a small amount. I presume in order to keep its very low profile. It is very well made and came from a research facility, not sure how much it was used if at all. It doesn't seem to have any marks where it would have been bolted down.
It is definitely for sale and is not overly heavy so shipping will be ok, not cheap but probably do-able.

Back