What's new
What's new

Input on Reid hydraulic with power down feed:

Zap921

Cast Iron
Looking to ditch a 618 manual SG for a Reid 618 Hydraulic with power D/F. The owner doesn't have a manual, bought the unit in 96 and was second owner. Any positive or negative thoughts on the Reid? Also if anyone has a connection for a manual that would be a plus, and if anyone knows whether or not the 618 HYD manual covers the down feed operation. He said he didn't use the power down feed or the over wheel dresser. TIA, Nick

Did Reid sub out the production of those HYD models at some point because the one that I'm looking at has the same control panel on the right but only has the round Reid logo on the hydraulic drawer, no reference to FayScott. I'm assuming they would operate basically the same.

Did Reid sub out the production of those HYD models at some point because the one that I'm looking at has the same control panel on the right but only has the round Reid logo on the hydraulic drawer, no reference to FayScott. I'm assuming they would operate basically the same.
IIRC, they're were four different owners of the company over the years, Reid, Fay Scott, White Consolidated and now Leland Gifford Products, LLC is the current owner.
Leland Gifford sells parts and has a rebuilding service, no new machines are currently being made.....

Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks michiganbuck appreciate the first hand feedback!! And for an update, I bought it and will be bringing it home this week. Fortunately the guy lives and runs his machine shop about 20 minutes from me. He bought a larger SG (Brown & Sharpe) the chuck was bigger than 6x18. It'll be interesting to see how repeatable the downfeed is.

Back