What's new
What's new

Instructor approves cutting steel at 2000sfm

empower

Titanium
I don't think it was just trolling, I'm guessing there's either a communication issue between the OP and the instructor, or the instructor was speaking of carbide tooling, or maybe someone's just out to lunch.

Still hoping for video if they try it...

2000 sfm in steel is pretty far out there even for carbide.

mhajicek

Titanium
Is it all that dangerous?
What happens here even if a 50 HP and 60,000 pound machine?
Bob

Well, since it's a 30 taper, which have notoriously weak pullstuds, as people have said the holder can take off like a bullet and punch through the enclosure. Not terribly likely, but I wouldn't say impossible.

sendithard

Plastic
@ShopRatCNC

I love how you teach them at the lower end of the risk curve....You may have a bad taste of Titans. I have gone thru their entire course....they do NOT teach aggressive recipes in their educational series. We all know they push the boundaries on other videos....but I think they have been quite reasonable in their academedy.

sendithard

Plastic
I'm not trolling...I'll fill you all in when it happens, if it happens....I'm still protesting until we get the gcode to the controller. I'm trying to avoid issues so I appeciate everyones talk.

Scruffy887

Titanium
Sigh. Click bait. You are a student in a night school? But for sure a student. I for sure would run it. EXPERIENCE! Do you think an 18" carbide saw blade can cut cleanly through a 1" x 1.5" steel bar? At 4000 RPMs? 100 meters/min feed? Hell yeah it can. Cut through 2 of them like nothing. There were 3 in a row and there were no teeth left for the third bar. Bad EPROM and air freight from Germany and installation was back on schedule. Sure as hell woke us up.

sendithard

Plastic
Sigh. Click bait. You are a student in a night school? But for sure a student. I for sure would run it. EXPERIENCE! Do you think an 18" carbide saw blade can cut cleanly through a 1" x 1.5" steel bar? At 4000 RPMs? 100 meters/min feed? Hell yeah it can. Cut through 2 of them like nothing. There were 3 in a row and there were no teeth left for the third bar. Bad EPROM and air freight from Germany and installation was back on schedule. Sure as hell woke us up.
I literally recently signed up for the site you goof ball. Do you have any brain cells? I'm simply the guy that pays attention to fundamentals that you don't like.

Scruffy887

Titanium
I literally recently signed up for the site you goof ball. Do you have any brain cells? I'm simply the guy that pays attention to fundamentals that you don't like.

Some advice. Don't call people names, makes you come across as an asshole. Do NOT assume the brain cell count of anybody you have never met in person. I doubt you are qualified to hand me a caliper by what you post, but you may be a fookin brain surgeon (well junior brain surgeon). And I like fundamentals, and for damn sure like to push them in most aspects of my life. Comfort zones need to be tested and expanded. Run the program, push till something breaks. Back off just enough to git er done.