What's new
What's new

Instructor approves cutting steel at 2000sfm

This is basically the same as if I put 1 firefighter on a 3" line with a combo nozzle and told hime to aim it through a window while standing up so he could advance...dialed it up to 200 psi and told him to open the bail.

If hes light and dumb enough to do it and hold on...he juuuust might fly lol.

Dangerous, pointless, major risk of injury, and just plain foolish.

(Proper would be, min 3 guys, 5 is preferred to advance, 2.5 line not 3", yes it makes a difference lol, pressure starting around 120 and see how it goes from there.)

One person can easily handle the above situations though...its called a Chicago loop. You loop the hose and nozzle under itself and sit on the junction. You are stuck in the spot but you can move the nozzle as needed without having to worry about getting destroyed. Sometimes we will put an extra guy on just to help or have a ready replacement.

Update#2

Thought you all may enjoy how the debacle progresses....I'm in QC this AM drinking coffee and programming the simple part in CMM they are trying to make at God knows whatever sfm they are deciding upon even after the fireworks explosion that happened last week. I saw a renewed gcode with the 3" facemill at 5K rpm and 240ipm....yes I gave up helping at this point... Anyway...the student stepped in mid morning to 'give me some advice' on not over tightening the vise bc he overtightend the vise and it fractured. I told him once again it was from the damage he did running the beast at ungodly numbers, but I'm dumb as usual. Here is our mill at the moment. I've had this part programed at a reasonable 150 sfm for over 3 months, maybe one day I'll get a crack at it, until then, I'm enjoying programming on the CMM and learning some cool skills....
1.jpg
2.jpg

Tell your instructor to read this thread.
Better yet have him log in and give us his reasoning. We'd LOVE to hear it.

Someone might get hurt or worse. It is a VERY bad idea to spin HSS endmills that fast in any material because they don't instantly disintegrate, but get bent before breaking and transfer all of the rotation speed into horizontal speed and fly out making nice round holes. I have heard people got killed this way.

seriously though, if the instructor is confident that those numbers are correct then get a video of him confirming it, place the camera on a stand in front of the mill, hit start and run. i do want to see how it goes

Back