What's new
What's new

Intermittent "Crash" Problem on Mits

UniShop

Plastic
Hello,

University shop here with 1 wire EDM machine that gets relatively low use mostly cutting material test specimen and the odd prototype part that needs this process. It is an ~9 year old Mitsubishi MV2400S. Intermittently it will throw an X-axis crash detected error when there is no crash. This started about a year ago on finish passes in thick material, and more recently can happen during roughing/single pass work in any material. It may be slightly more prone to erroring out in certain areas, but it has happened throughout the work space.

We did the most obvious inspections and operator level cleaning and tore into it a little beyond that too without any success. Talking to tech support they had us pull some plugs on the glass slide and blow compressed air through it in case any dust got in there. I’d have to ask around to remember what else was done, but the false crash error potential has always remained. We have been trying to get a service call, but due to bureaucratic issues it has been about 10 months of back and forth without a PO getting cut for that (new state rules about travel charges from vendors has been causing problems for everyone).

The error frequency picked up again recently, and we’re going to have to try to DIY this machine into better shape before things get too busy later in spring semester. Anyone else had a problem like this and have some suggestions on where to start? Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

University shop here with 1 wire EDM machine that gets relatively low use mostly cutting material test specimen and the odd prototype part that needs this process. It is an ~9 year old Mitsubishi MV2400S. Intermittently it will throw an X-axis crash detected error when there is no crash. This started about a year ago on finish passes in thick material, and more recently can happen during roughing/single pass work in any material. It may be slightly more prone to erroring out in certain areas, but it has happened throughout the work space.

We did the most obvious inspections and operator level cleaning and tore into it a little beyond that too without any success. Talking to tech support they had us pull some plugs on the glass slide and blow compressed air through it in case any dust got in there. I’d have to ask around to remember what else was done, but the false crash error potential has always remained. We have been trying to get a service call, but due to bureaucratic issues it has been about 10 months of back and forth without a PO getting cut for that (new state rules about travel charges from vendors has been causing problems for everyone).

The error frequency picked up again recently, and we’re going to have to try to DIY this machine into better shape before things get too busy later in spring semester. Anyone else had a problem like this and have some suggestions on where to start? Any help is appreciated.
A while back I came across this problem on a Mits MV1200. The lower flush cup ring was not screwed down all the way. Sounds odd but, the machine is so sensitive that it picked up the slightest drag from the flush cup rubbing on the bottom of the part. I know you mentioned checking the most obvious inspections, just not sure if you looked here yet. Hope this helps!

Make sure your ball nuts and bearings are getting oil...they can cause friction and make it alarm. As well as something between the tank and frame.

A while back I came across this problem on a Mits MV1200. The lower flush cup ring was not screwed down all the way. Sounds odd but, the machine is so sensitive that it picked up the slightest drag from the flush cup rubbing on the bottom of the part. I know you mentioned checking the most obvious inspections, just not sure if you looked here yet. Hope this helps!
Our MV1200 will give a crash alarm if I bump my arm lightly on it while it is positioning...

We also had these false crash alarms, but mostly near the table. Turns out it was the guide rails required cleaning to remove some dust that had mixed with the ways lubrication causing increased drag.

Thank for the suggestions, everyone.

@CRC13SG: We have serviced that a few times over the last year and the usual set-ups leave ~1/8” gap, so I think we’re all clear with that. Good to have that possibility mentioned for reference though.

@plastikdreams and @michael.guzzi: The machine is in a relatively clean separate room from the main shop, but it is old enough it may have developed some gumminess/varnish on the rails and/or screws. We’ll look into that when we get through the current jobs in line for that machine. The intermittent crash isn’t frequent enough to put a full stop to that work yet. Similar to your observation, Michael, we got suspicious that it might be happening more frequently when we were closer to the table. Unconfirmed though since the “crash” happens often enough out in space too. It make sense that the rails and screws could get stickier towards the edges of the work space where they see fresh oil less often.

Back