What's new
What's new

Into level EDM for gunsmithing

JONA Custom

Plastic
The gunsmith I work for would like to begin manufacturing/prototyping actions. Specifically bolt actions. Often I see that the bore hole and bolt race are cut with an EDM CNC. When it comes to EDM it is safe to say I am green but I am familiar with CNC mills. I am looking for recommendations for machines less than 15,000 to learn on but that can also provide the precision and finish for firearms.

Señior plastikdreams, I too find myself pondering the new guy's inquiry.

Can a good, basic wire edm set up be obtained for $15k? Like the haas TM2 of wire machines. A basic 2 axis machine but with an automatic wire threading feature and maybe a few extras.

What costs are associated with maintaining one?

Can a good, basic wire edm set up be obtained for $15k? Like the haas TM2 of wire machines. A basic 2 axis machine but with an automatic wire threading feature and maybe a few extras.

I think 15k puts him into well used and at least 15 years old. But that's just a guess really.

I think 15k puts him into well used and at least 15 years old. But that's just a guess really.
In my recent experience in perusing the used EDM market, 15k will probably get you some beat up Fanuc from the early 90's. Anything in the past 15 years worth looking at I think would be at least 30k.

Needless to say we ended up buying new instead of used.

In other words, I really don't think so.

Last edited:
Hypothetically if I had a larger budget. Do you have a recommendation for a new or used entry level machine?
Well for a new machine you're looking at around 100k no matter what. Personally I'd recommend Makino or Fanuc. The other more popular brands that have support would be Charmilles, Mitsubishi and Sodick.

As for used, I am partial to Fanuc. Everyone has their bias or favorites. I'd be looking for machines from around 2000-2006 or so, couple examples here-

I wouldn't be surprised if they were listed up around 40k though. Anything older than that and you're into the older control and hardware which I wouldn't recommend.

Maybe a few years ago I would agree, but the current market 15k, your maybe.. maybe getting out of the 90s into the early 2000s vintage.. For something decent anyhow.

Last edited:

Maintenance & consumables are the most costly part of having a wire EDM, there are so many moving parts that have to be constantly cleaned & replaced. Automatic threading is one of those more pricey additions as those will typically come with a machine of top condition. Best all around machine in my opinion is gonna be Mitsubishi, especially their BA24. Those you can find for around 35-45k used around 10-15 years old. But again that's cost of the machine & not installation, setup & consumables cost.

I've seen a couple Sodick AQ300L's - 2007 and 2008 machines go for around 16K at auction recently. A couple Sodick 325's sold for under 12K - 2004 vintage

Problem is for firearms you usually will need taller machines and they don't come along very often. I've got a Sodick 527 that will cut up to 16" tall that I used to cut 50 BMG bolt ways on.

I know some of the Fanuc machines will cut over 8-9" but that's usually the tallest you get for cheap money.

Old edms are a money pit...especially well used ones. If not maintained properly there's a lot of stuff that can go wrong, expensive stuff that involves machine disassembly.

Back