What's new
What's new

Is a DUNS number ever a bad thing for a company to have?

Unless you are looking to do work for the government in the future I wouldn't bother. I have one and that is the only time I needed it.

A while back it was an absolute must to get on the vendor list of anyone big.
Even now it might be of help when applying for terms with your vendors.
They come after you with paid for upgrades which I ignore.
Not what it used to be but I see no downside if you pay your bills in a timely manner.
Bob

There is no downside, IMHO. And, you can potentially control information about your company by volunteering info. Often customers, vendors and others will do a quick check on your DUNS number, it just adds credibility to your business.

i got one a few years back, cause I figured, why not?

Just a heads up, prepare yourself for a shit ton mountain of spam emails that will continue for centuries after you've died.

In the past, I thought it was difficult to get one. Now I realize it's free, and they get you on the upgrades.

I've had issues with a supplier unwilling to establish an account with us, without us having one. It was on a two month trial of a $4,000 piece of medical equipment. I even offered to just pay for it up front, as long as they put it in writing that I could return it if it didn't suit our needs, which was what the trial was for. No sir, without an established account and DUNS number they can't sell to me.

I was sorta flabbergasted...

It is real simple and free. Just ignore all the pay for this or that add ons.
Note that if late on payment to a McMaster or Grainger they will report it here.
Even for free you get to run a few credit checks on potential customers.
For me it was a must as no way to get a vendor number at the big auto people without a DB.
Once in there are ways to boost your rating by providing end of year information.
Past times this a big deal. Now I do not even know my rating.
Bob

i got one a few years back, cause I figured, why not?

Just a heads up, prepare yourself for a shit ton mountain of spam emails that will continue for centuries after you've died.

I thought it was the DOD work that I needed the DUNS number for that generated the spam, maybe I was getting nailed twice.

I thought it was the DOD work that I needed the DUNS number for that generated the spam, maybe I was getting nailed twice.

It's definitely both. D&B will get you with spam. The but the SAMS/DIBBS or whatever you register with to get a CAGE code will utterly destroy your inbox...

It's definitely both. D&B will get you with spam. The but the SAMS/DIBBS or whatever you register with to get a CAGE code will utterly destroy your inbox...

I last did DOD work a dozen or so years ago, when I moved to an area where the available internet didn't get along with the government sites I stopped. The signal latency was the issue. About two years ago the spam e-mails from people guaranteeing inside information that would land government contracts finally stopped. Obviously if the spammers and businesses that provide no value did not profit from their scams they would stop. I am shocked at some of the things people fall for.

12 years in business, never come across a need for one. Nobody we've ever done business with has ever asked for one and we've never had a problem getting a machine loan. Hell we just bought a building and it wasn't an issue. But your needs may vary.

I have found D&B to be both a time sink and a money grubber. Always trying to get you to pay for something. "We will upgrade your credit rating for only $xx.xx. Yeah really? What will vendors think about a credit rating that has been upgraded by a bribe?
Piss on them. They have long stopped their spam.

If you like spam emails and endless phone calls register with DUN. As far as I am concerned it is a total scam.

Back