What's new
What's new

Is anyone using the Dewalt “Multi-Cutter” saw to cut stock?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I didn’t know anything about these but just saw one at a equipment sale.
Anything worth messing with?

Seems a cheap seats cold saw eh?

The model number is DW872

Thanks

Milland

Diamond
I have a similar chop saw, and they all suffer from crap vises, weak/flexy pivots, and low power. You can cut smaller stock, even larger pieces if you're persistent and patient, but it's far from ideal.

memphisjed

Stainless
I try to find creative methods like loosing the whole saw whenever the boss men decide its a good idea to use it. It cuts, blades last zero to less than par- the bad is it slings stupid hot stingy sharp attacking evil chips around. The cheap abrasive saw that is almost the same is better imo.

Jeff_M_PA

Cast Iron
Had one, and agree with all three of you. "Cheap seats cold saw" describes it perfectly. OK for occasional use on angle iron, etc. Thick-wall square tubing, not so much. Nothing to write home about. We got descent blade life though. We had an old horizontal bandsaw too, and the DeWalt was preferred for quickie stuff. I'd pay $50 for one if it had a descent blade on it and I was going to do some light fabrication.

PeteM

Diamond
I've had both the DeWalt and more recently the Milwaukee version. They spin about half the speed of a miter saw and more than twice the speed of a cold saw. This works well on stuff like aluminum extrusions and copper pipe. Faster and cleaner than a bandsaw cut.

Considerable care is needed to feed carefully on steel sections to avoid early blade failure - but there are cases where they'd be preferable to a bandsaw for someone without a proper cold saw.

The portable metal cutting circular saws with similar blade geometry and the same somewhat-too-high speeds can also be productive, if you stay clear of chips. Better ones manage to catch most of them.

Trboatworks

Diamond
Ok- I had passed on the saw but the stock of blades came along with other gear.

The blades are bloody expensive retail- I have maybe ten of them in various types- for stainless, alloys etc.
All new.
Any users want to talk buying the blades I have?

Or.... I guess I could still pick up the saw as the equipment sale is ongoing.
That Dewalt retails for $600 for so and this one is NIB.

Worth picking up for $100 or so or just sell off the blades?