What's new
What's new

Is anyone using the new Optrel 2.0 welding helmets?

Trboatworks

Diamond
My old auto helmet died and I am looking to replace.
Anyone purchased the Optrel gear which uses the 2.0 lens?

And the CLT 2.0

"Built in battery pack which does not need replaced with 300- 500 charging cycles"

What- so toss the helmet when the battery craps out in a $500 dollar helmet?

Thanks

Thanks- I see the 2.0 has replaceable batteries.
Any ideal about the CLT?

I need to find a shop which carries them and give them a call.

My old Optrel satellite had potted coin cells which couldn’t be replaced and that’s what finally killed it.
I am reluctant to spend $500 on another helmet with sealed batteries.

"My old Optrel satellite had potted coin cells which couldn’t be replaced and that’s what finally killed it.
I am reluctant to spend $500 on another helmet with sealed batteries."

Same here! I had added an external battery but the helmet was so used up
at that point that I went to Speedglas for the next 10 years.

BTW, the Crystal 2.0 takes the same front shield as the original Optrel, which I had dozens of.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

I have an old Optrel mask with the sealed batteries that died a couple of years ago. They lasted quite a while, about 15 years with very infrequent use. I didn't want to fork out a ton of money for a new mask so I found someone online that replaced the batteries.

It's a straightforward operation to remove the old batteries but you've got to cut open the top righthand corner of the plastic housing. The two coin-sized batteries were encased in some in some hard white crap that you have to scrape out. Then you unsolder the old batteries and solder new ones in. It's been working fine for the past couple of years now.

Just to throw it out there, I've had a Miller digital elite for over 15 years, changed batteries once and still work as new. They go for a little over 300 bucks.

I did the hack with my old Optrel and cut out the batteries and replaced.
It worked ok for a bit the stopped holding dark- flickering constantly.

So some more aluminum welding work came in so I ordered the Optrel Crystal 2.0
I wanted to get the CLT but just couldn’t get past another helmet with potted batteries.
The 2.0 in silver was $450 shipped.
I’ll update once I have some time on it.

So update-

I ended up canceling that Optrel 2.0 and bought the CLT.
I changed horses after deciding I wanted a better field of view and the increased sensor.

Well all I can say is WOW- nice helmet.

The clarity is bright and perfect when not welding.
When the arc is going the “true color” aspects are phenomenal.

The perks- the helmet auto adjusting for arc intensity is the bomb.
I never switch it over to any other setting and just weld away with perfect shade density for the material and amps I am pushing.

One small dis against the settings is if set to fade and you strike and arc before the helmet completes that ramp down you can get briefly flashed.
The transition is just a second long or so but I have to check myself a bit sometimes to wait it out.
I got a 1.5 cheater lens and for me that is perfect.
I am doing tuna tower work and have run lots of beads with this now in anodized plus a bit in stainless work and some mild steel.
The multiple sensors seems like a good call- climbing around doing out of position pipe welds on a tower they are needed as sometimes I am tucking welds where the helmet is partially blocked.

Cyber weld was out of the black helmet so the silver was $550 kitted with a bag and extras face shields.
This is pricy gear but one of those instances where if I lost the helmet I would buy another just like it without hesitation.

Really decent kit.

I had a similar experience when I replaced my old Miller helmet with the optrel panoramaxx recently. The clarity of the Miller compared to the optrel was like going from analog to HD tv! The optrel also pivots further back when the hood is raised so it stays put when I'm moving about.

Just to throw it out there, I've had a Miller digital elite for over 15 years, changed batteries once and still work as new. They go for a little over 300 bucks.

LMAO! I'm with you. My dad bought me a new Huntsman auto helmet when I signed up for high school metalshop class in 1997. I have replaced the helmet a couple times, but still use the exact same autodark insert from 1997. Probably replaced the AAA's 3-4 times? A family member bought me Harbor Freights fanciest helmet a couple christmas's ago and it's a total POS (as expected). Someday I'll buy a nice helmet to go along with my nice welders, but that damn old Huntsman still works just like it did in 1997. I wish I could weld as good now as I could in my late teens.

We use Speedglas welding helmets, have for over 20 years, never had a problem with any of them.
You can go on about who makes the best helmets all day long, it's like the old Ford, Dodge or GM debate.
In the end If your burning wire or carbon arc gouging 8 or 10 hours a day whatever you do don't trust your eyes to a second level welding helmet.

LMAO! I'm with you. My dad bought me a new Huntsman auto helmet when I signed up for high school metalshop class in 1997. I have replaced the helmet a couple times, but still use the exact same autodark insert from 1997. Probably replaced the AAA's 3-4 times? A family member bought me Harbor Freights fanciest helmet a couple christmas's ago and it's a total POS (as expected). Someday I'll buy a nice helmet to go along with my nice welders, but that damn old Huntsman still works just like it did in 1997. I wish I could weld as good now as I could in my late teens.

HS metal shop in 1997, what a pup!

A few years back my LWS loaned me a variety of hoods to try out. One of my employees and I did some tests, with him filming through one hood while I was welding with another.

The selection of hoods included offerings from Jackson, Speedglas, Miller, Lincoln, as well as budget hoods from Horror Freight. Also some vintage fixed shade hoods were tried too. Legacy hoods from Optrel were tested too.

The Optrel Crystal 2.0 was noticeably better than any of the other hoods. Much better clarity and color rendition. What was interesting to note was that the Optrel did not darken the same amount everywhere on the lens. It is smart enough to darken more right in front of the weld puddle where the light is the brightest, and darken less away from the weld. This allows better visibility to the area where you "will be" welding.

It is my understanding that ESAB recently introduced a hood that is in the same league as the Crystal 2.0

Second place was the Lincoln Viking 3350C.

Back