What's new
What's new

Is my Hitachi VFD toast?

Mikel Levy

Aluminum
So I was just starting a cut on my lathe when the Hitachi WJ200-022SF VFD/inverter went dead. I unplugged it, waited a minute, then plugged it back in with no result. It's a 2.2KW model with 220V single phase input and 220V three phase output, and drives a 3 horsepower motor. Been working fine for the last 4 years. I wiggled the wires, and all connections seem to be secure. I'm pretty hopeless with electronics, but is there anything obvious I should be checking with my voltmeter? Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

JST

Diamond
"Went dead".... Any particular symptoms?

Can we assume this means it stopped working and shows no lights?

Do you operate it from the unit itself, or do you have remote switches etc?

Have you checked the items in section 6-3 (Troubleshooting) in the manual?

Mikel Levy

Aluminum
"Went dead".... Any particular symptoms?

Can we assume this means it stopped working and shows no lights?

Do you operate it from the unit itself, or do you have remote switches etc?

Have you checked the items in section 6-3 (Troubleshooting) in the manual?

JST--thanks for your reply. No symptoms--just suddenly stopped working, no lights, no nothing. Remote fwd/off/rev switch plus potentiometer for speed control. Of course, one of the first things I did was check the shop circuit breakers--all OK there. What I didn't do, until after I posted this, was check the power at the outlet. 87 volts, all other outlets read 243 volts. I traced the problem to a bad wire nut connection in the upstream junction box. All good now. Sometimes it pays to go back to the fundamentals.

--Mike

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
Whew! You had me worried there for a minute. I am running the exact same VFD also with a 3HP motor. :eek: Hoping I get a lot more than 4 years out of it.