What's new
What's new

Is SPI Any Good??

tmthy21

Plastic
Hey All,

Been looking at buying some SPI Mechanical Micrometer Style Calipers

here's the links to both

Mitutoyos Sets in this size range between $230 and $250 while SPI is $117 and $125

im a big Mitutoyo guy and my mics and calipers are all Mitutoyo thus far, however id like to get a set of thread mics, disc mics and blade mics at some point as well but the prices for Mitutoyo range between $250 - $450 depending on the type, With SPI being $200 - $350

im a Swiss guy and I don't use those types of mics too often, as well as those mics that I posted above,

Ive heard a lot of people crap on SPI and I've never used them myself, there calipers do look cheap compared to Mitutoyo,

Just Wondering if anyone has owned or does own any of these special types of SPI Mics, should I spend the extra $200 on these types of mics or give a shot to SPI

I know MSC Owns SPI now but I've seen mixed Reviews,

Thanks guys

- Timothy

I have an SPI flange mic and it works for what I needed it for. I only use it once a year and am measuring extruded fins, so not tight tolerance work. I am a Mits guy myself and wouldn't trust the SPI for the really critical stuff.

You'll get what you pay for so if you will use it a lot you should pay more for better quality.

I too am a Mits and older starrett metrology guy. I have and do use a couple SPI veneers they are okay a bit stiff compared to the mits. I go for the Mits first then micrometers when measuring is critical to .001 and finer.

Hey All,

Been looking at buying some SPI Mechanical Micrometer Style Calipers

here's the links to both

Mitutoyos Sets in this size range between $230 and $250 while SPI is $117 and $125

im a big Mitutoyo guy and my mics and calipers are all Mitutoyo thus far, however id like to get a set of thread mics, disc mics and blade mics at some point as well but the prices for Mitutoyo range between $250 - $450 depending on the type, With SPI being $200 - $350

im a Swiss guy and I don't use those types of mics too often, as well as those mics that I posted above,

Ive heard a lot of people crap on SPI and I've never used them myself, there calipers do look cheap compared to Mitutoyo,

Just Wondering if anyone has owned or does own any of these special types of SPI Mics, should I spend the extra $200 on these types of mics or give a shot to SPI

I know MSC Owns SPI now but I've seen mixed Reviews,

Thanks guys

- Timothy
SPI is a good enough brand do get you through your day to day job and will probably last a while if you maintain them. but if your looking for reliable tools that will last a lifetime i wouldnt choose SPI, if your going for cheaper i would choose Fowler or Browne and Sharpe. I stick with Starrett and maybe a couple Mititoyo . But SPI is mid grade...good enough for +/- 0.002" id say

I agree with RJT. for my money I would go with Mits or Starrett. That being said I have a pair of no name very nears and they are fantastic, for my purpose.

It's important to understand that SPI do not manufacture anything they sell, and everything they sell comes from multiple sources. Some SPI tools are absolute garbage that I wouldn't give to the most unworthy apprentice, while some are perfectly fine. You won't know which you're going to get until you get it.

I have a boxed set of SPI three point internal mics from 50-100mm with setting rings. They are made in Taiwan I am fairly sure. Construction is good, accuracy is good, finish is not as nice as Tesa, but nipping at the heels of Mitutoyo. Gauge rings pass calibration no problems, wooden box is nice...

On the other end of the spectrum I bought an SPI indicator mag base for an apprentice and I didn't even send it back, it went straight in the bin for fear of some other poor bastard ever having to use it, and the indicator I bought with it followed shortly afterwards.

I'm in agreement with the above. SPI is sometimes average and other times poor. IMO the name dosn't command a lot of repsect. "Swiss Precision Instruments" IMO is about the same as some of the Asian import stuff they come up with like "New Bright." "Insize" is another, though their stuff tends to be OK.

IMO it's one of those Name Brand vs. Off Brand things. The caveat is that it's not literal. Just because the tool has a name on it doesn't mean anything. It's a matter if the company is actually doing some work under that name, more than guys in an office buying and selling and guys in a warehouse changing labels. If they at least test inspect and support the product, that's better. Making it themselves tends to produce the best results.

Sometimes you get some exceptions though. I've always liked the old Miller Falls stuff, and most of that was made under contract, not necessarily by MF employee's, and General still makes good stuff, despite the name.

if your going for cheaper i would choose Fowler or Browne and Sharpe. I stick with Starrett and maybe a couple Mititoyo

Starrett or Mititoyo over B & S???

Regarding the OP i have no experience with SPI metrology equipment, but my R & A Dresser is that brand.
It is better thought out and more intuitive to use than many; better capacity than some. Very nice, solid to use - would absolutely buy that unit again for my purposes. OTOH as others note about SPI in general, not quite top drawer in fit, finish,feel.

smt

Last edited:
I agree SPI is hit or miss. Like most everybody the new stuff has plastoc parts and I won't have that.

If you like MIT watch ebay. Be patient and you'll find what you want. The green hammertone tools are better. I don't buy anything with the least sign of wear or abuse, and steer clear of marked tools if I can. When you receive them check em out close. Send them back if you are not happy.

Be patient and you'll get good stuff and save a ton.

As others have some are good; others not so. If it something you are not using it veryd often they might be ok. Get out your gage block set and check it in several different spots. Once you figure out what your error factor is over the different places, note it down and put it in the box with the tool.

If you do not get you measuring tools calibrated, it a good idea to check them all. Other wise you don’t know that your actual part sizing is correct.

IIRC SPI stands for Swiss Precision Instrument. But the folks above are right: they are a reseller. An indicator repair service once observed that SPI was neither Swiss nor Precision. As long as you realize this, and that you get what you pay for, or less, you won’t be too disappointed. I guess the Chinese Variable Quality Instrument name was taken.

I'm a Mitutoyo guy but will buy other brands for general use. When buying from a rep I would get him to bring in a box of the same item and go through everything and cull based on feel and then on guage block measurements.

I think I may have posted this somewhere before. When I worked for Toyota the standards room checked Shan brand Chinese micrometers and rated them as good as Mitutoyo for accuracy. Having dealt with a lot of high end Chinese manufacturers they all used Mitutoyo in their QC departments.

As American manufacturers the most patriotic thing we can do is buy Starrett.
IDK. I like to encourage domestic production, but I don’t really want to encourage domestic producers to sell me sub par stuff. My new Starrett stuff isn’t as nice an my old Starrett stuff, it seems to be incredibly easy to rust, and that’s before we start talking about the awful digital calipers.

I bought a brand new 199z level a few years ago and could have done better machining it on the knee mill in my garage. I wanted to love Starrett, I still do, but it’s a bit like being a Detroit Lions fan.

Back