What's new
What's new

Is there a such thing as a Multi Belt Sander?

Aaron-M

Aluminum
Hi,

I was wondering if they made or components to make a multi-belt belt sander? I use 1x30 belts and just a little tired of changing them for every grit. I was wondering if they had a machine that had at least 2, preferable 4 belt stations.

I looked at those things that attach to a bench grinder, but they appear to only have the right hand side. If a company made a right and a left, I would have the option to convert a bench grinder to a dual sander. Could upgrade from there.

I haven't seen options to buy the parts without it being a total project from scratch.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

Well, it does sound like an interesting project. I am envisioning a four belt set-up on a lazy Susan style table. Two belts, left and right on the front and two more in the rear. And you just rotate it around to use the other two.

And perhaps two or even four discs on the two ends. Probably the easiest way to get started on it would be to purchase four import belt sanders and start taking them apart. Gonna need a bigger motor too. "We need a bigger boat, don't we. We gotta go back and get a bigger boat!"

I christen it Sand-O-Rama!

I may do it some day, after a few (dozen) other ideas that I already have.

Hi,

I was wondering if they made or components to make a multi-belt belt sander? I use 1x30 belts and just a little tired of changing them for every grit. I was wondering if they had a machine that had at least 2, preferable 4 belt stations.

I looked at those things that attach to a bench grinder, but they appear to only have the right hand side. If a company made a right and a left, I would have the option to convert a bench grinder to a dual sander. Could upgrade from there.

I haven't seen options to buy the parts without it being a total project from scratch.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

There's several options out there.....best bet, to make your own or buy a kit!

Here's one of the higher end options!

Belt Grinding Machines << Hammond Roto-Finish

Hammond Belt Sander.jpg

Another option, not as elegant!

2FS 2 x 48 INCH INDUSTRIAL BELT SANDER LESS MOTOR

Kalamazoo.jpg

You could buy these back stand idlers and make as many stations as needed?

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Idler-Assembly-D5010R-Sander/dp/B07FWJYCCB

71cykxg53LL._AC_SL1265_.jpg

Then there's the usual suspects, Burr King, Baldor, too many to mention!
It comes down to budget?

Kevin

I have had a Rockwell 1 x 42 belt sander for nearly 50 years. I suspect it has more running hours than any other machine in my shop and I have improved it and repaired it a number of times. I would be lost without it. So, around 20 years ago I found an identical machine at a garage sale and planned to set it up with a different grit belt. Not that it is much trouble to change belts. The second machine is still sitting out of the way because I need floor space in my shop more than I need a second sander.

Larry

I would think that after two belts, the cost/benefit of combined machines gets washed away with complexity. That said, I think the boot repair shops I have been in have long machines with 4-6 stations for sanding/buffing/polishing boots and shoes. I prefer multiple separate units myself.

unless you do only some small pieces on it i cant see how a "multi-belt" would work. with two belts you could at least come in from each side. and all this for what, to save 5 sec. per belt change?

(i also often thimk how nice it would be to have a push-button belt change. just not worth it.)

I've forgotten the name but there was a 1 inch belt sander with a spring-loaded top roller so belts could quickly be changed. I don't know if is still made but it was $300 plus and as I recall USA made. There was one in the shop at a place I worked at some years back.

Edit: After a quick internet search I believe it was a Kalamazoo 1 x 42 inch.

This video shows belt changing and tracking.

How to Change a 1SM belt - YouTube

Being of a rather thrifty nature, I have kept a few old belt sanders going well beyond their natural life span. I have found that hard rubber caster wheels work very well as the drive wheel mounted to the motor or jackshaft. I have also used automotive timing belt idler pulleys for both top and tensioner wheels. If you have a friend at a garage, you can usually get used ones for free.
My $0.02 (US)

unless you do only some small pieces on it i cant see how a "multi-belt" would work. with two belts you could at least come in from each side. and all this for what, to save 5 sec. per belt change?

(i also often thimk how nice it would be to have a push-button belt change. just not worth it.)

If you replace the upper wheel spring with a small Bimba style air cylinder, you
could have a pushbutton air valve at the front.

I've forgotten the name but there was a 1 inch belt sander with a spring-loaded top roller so belts could quickly be changed. I don't know if is still made but it was $300 plus and as I recall USA made. There was one in the shop at a place I worked at some years back.

Edit: After a quick internet search I believe it was a Kalamazoo 1 x 42 inch.

This video shows belt changing and tracking.

How to Change a 1SM belt - YouTube

The Delta-Rockwell 1X42 is like that also.

All the 1 and 2" wide belt sanders I have had are like that. A spring on the arm or a lever with a cam for swapping belts. For most in the narrow belt range it is pretty quick and tool-less.

and then you need different speeds for different grits anyway. i think the longest part of changing the belt on my 2x72 is waiting for it to come up to speed.

Thank for the ideas.

I think I might mount a grinder under the bench and use it to run 2 shafts with 2 belts each. That way I can go across 60/120/240/400 quickly. I'm like to cobbler where I need to be able to sweep across the line to a wide selections of grits.

I already have 7-8 regular sanders I use on a daily basis, so I am an expert at sanding stuff. This is just one more tool to make me a little faster, while improving quality.

I like the air cylinder idea, that way you can change belt tension with pressure, interesting idea.

Thanks
Aaron

Back