What's new
What's new

Is this Sag 12 worth the price?

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
Phil -- Where?? :confused:

Are you dead set on a certain machine? If so patience is in order. Search CL, FB, Bidspotter, dovebid, public surplus, etc. I see auctions in CA regularly, lots of machines to choose from, prices from dirt cheap to what am I missing. Clean that garage out, keep looking, be ready to jump when you find what you want:D

Edit: Auction lathes rarely have tooling, but there is usually tooling in the individual lots, and it seems most of the time they sell the tooling first.

shaggy

Hot Rolled
To tell you the truth, I'm reconsidering this Sag 12.

Still havin' a bit of a head vs gut battle over it. Start adding up negatives, rationalizing it away. Then woke up to the fact that, this class of lathe, in this size footprint..? -- I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for another one to turn up.

So it'll cost a bit in replacement armamentation - what else is new ;)

shaggy

Hot Rolled
Well, I screwed up on this one. After getting over my initial doubts, I'd reconnected w/ the seller and thought I was going to get another run at it. Spent the last few days preparing.
Called to verify I'd be making the 300 mile drive tomorrow morning, and he told me he'd just sold it! :(
I guess I can't blame him - 'he who hesitates, loses'.

Well, I got the manual, at least! - just printed it out this morning :rolleyes5:

Anyone got a(nother) Sag 12 for sale?

dang :(

Chuck Kiegh

Aluminum
Just my two rubles but FOR $1500 plus travel expense you could safely roll the dice with two positive outcomes... you lucked out and got a great machine that just needed some kerosene plus elbow grease OR you bought a beater that could have been parted out to the Graz cultists on this forum and other sites and possibly broke even and/ or on the plus side made a little scratch. Not to mention gotten up close and personal w/ a superbly designed machine which would enhance your future decision making on "that machine that out is there waiting for you".

shaggy

Hot Rolled
Just my two rubles but FOR $1500 plus travel expense you could safely roll the dice with two positive outcomes... you lucked out and got a great machine that just needed some kerosene plus elbow grease OR you bought a beater that could have been parted out to the Graz cultists on this forum and other sites and possibly broke even and/ or on the plus side made a little scratch. Not to mention gotten up close and personal w/ a superbly designed machine which would enhance your future decision making on "that machine that out is there waiting for you".

Yep, those are great points, and pretty much how I saw it once I (too late) wised up! They're an awesome machine.
But $1500? I wish! Nope, $3000 firm, and dirty, w/ minimal tooling. That made me hesitate, when, given Bill's A+ mechanical report, I should have followed my instinct that it was a risk worth taking.

Thanks for the thoughts. Maybe there's another Sag 12 'waiting for me out there' not too long from now, and I'll be smarter about it.

Last edited: