What's new
What's new

ISO 32 and ISO 68 -- finding small quantities of required lubricants

As for cleaning out the gear box sump, my K&T 2H manual says to drain the machine of lube oil and then flush with mineral spirits to keep everything flowing every six months of normal use. For a machine that sat for a while, you may need to do this several times to ensure that all of the lube fittings and passages are clear. As the solvent is thinner than the oils, you will also find all of the little leaks from old gaskets at the same time. Hope this helps.

A little thread resurrection... I'm trying to find ISO 32 and ISO 68 oils for a new SB lathe I just purchased. The only dealer local to me that carries Mobil products is MSC and they want too much $$ for that stuff. With the ISO classification, and in y'alls opinion, would I be safe to use the following products? I'm also going to call SB to get their opinion to ensure I don't void the warranty. Anyways, I'm not new to machining but I am new to buying my own machine oil. I thought I'd consult the experts on the matter first... Thanks for any input.

Amazon.com: Mag 1 322 AW ISO 32 Hydraulic Oil - 2.5 Gallon, (Pack of 2): Automotive

Mystik PL AW Hydraulic Oil ISO 68, 2 gal. - For Life Out Here

Find farm and garden store, ISO 32 and 68 is pretty common for tractors. Alternatively, asme of the rural gas stations in OK have bulk hydraulic oils. You supply the container and pump it from a gasoline style pump. The ones Ive seen also have K1 and other lubes that way too so it's pretty handy to find one.

Lastly, try a service shop. Maybe you can slip the cashier a 5er and fill up a quart.

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

FYI:

Mobil Mobil DTE 24, Hydraulic, ISO 32, 1 gal. 1�1�14 | Zoro.com
and
Mobil Mobil DTE 26, Hydraulic, ISO 68, 1 gal. 1��817 | Zoro.com

As I replied back in 2014. I still recommend them. Buy both gallons at once and shipping is free.

Best Regards,
Bob

I saw Zoro earlier while searching. I need 5 gallons of the DTE Light which would be almost $150 from Zoro compared to $67 for the Mag1 off Amazon. I'm guessing there must be a quality difference between the two for the Mobil to be marked up in price so much in comparison. I was just trying to safe a few bucks to go towards my tooling but I also need my headstock to last a while too...

My local Advance Auto parts store carries a limited supply, but I believe they have both 32 and 68 in 5 gallon buckets, not too outrageous in price. I've also seen at least one or the other or both of these at one or the other of the big-box "hardware" stores (Home Depot or Lowe's).

Back